Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!mini fantasy how do i water????????

leslie_virnig221(52501)October 16, 2009

i just bought a miniature fantasy purple with pink splotches. i'v never had a mini how do i not drownd him? i water from the top. i havent watered him yet. also i found a leaf that might be from him and might not so i planted it.its pointed, so i hope its something different. please help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
okie_deb(6 OK. zip 737)

I just am a beginner also. I just got my first 2 orders in and I sat them in a bowl of lukewarm water (with VF-11 added) for about 20 minutes. I figured that way they would draw up what they needed water wise. So far so good but its only been a day. haha. Leaves were a bit limp on one from the trip to get to me and they have stiffened as they should be now.
Someone will tell us I'm sure if how I did it was correct. Ok folks put me against the brick wall and aim good or tell me I did ok. hahaha.,,,,Debbie :-P

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 11:52PM
bspofford

Minis have the same water needs as semis and standards, just on a smaller scale.

I find watering to be easiest (if not wicking) by setting the plant in a bowl, add room temp water to the bowl, and after 15 minutes dump out the excess. That way I can be sure that the entire root ball is dampened, not just the top.

Barbara

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 3:02AM
lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)

I use a syringe to water the tiny plants. The syringe is marked with ml (milliliters) and I know from testing how many ml the different size pots take. The mini pots from Cape Cod Violetry, for example, that have their own snap-on saucer take 2 ml if the soil is just slightly damp, but getting dry and take 4 ml if it's completely dry (of course, I don't try to let them get completely dry, but it happens....). I just add the water to the saucer and it takes it up within a few minutes. If I put in more water than that, it will take it up, but that's more damp than I like my plants to be.

I also water from the top with the syringe - works well.

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 3:59AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Lath -

You Have PATIENCE!!!

Irina, wick'm all

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 3:09AM
fred_hill(6)

I'm with you Irina. I wick all my plants. I do however use a snot sucker when I have plants at a show. There are times that a mini will dry out and wilt and needs a little pick me up of H2O.
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Mouse ears!
I am thrilled to see the " mouse ears" everyone...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
When will the leaf cuttings send out new growth?
I potted up 4 leafs in 4 small pots. Actually they...
tlbean2004
Is my African Violet in Shock?
Last night my little sister accidentally knocked my...
Lauren7
Propagate and Sell Registered AVs?
I am getting into propagating and growing AVs and was...
mojosavage
Looking for the post that had using CFL?
I thought it was in this section maybe it wasn't but...
loveofbostons
Sponsored Products
Gray Granite Stone Vessel Sink 24"x16" - DUNE
Living'ROC
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Home Dynamix Rugs Melissa Cream/Brown 2 ft. 7 in. x 7 ft.
$56.97 | Home Depot
Bullet Polished Chrome One-Light LED Mini Pendant
$178.00 | Bellacor
Korver Sectional - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Designers Fountain Outdoor Whitmore LED21731 Wall Lantern - Mystic Bronze - LED2
$135.50 | Hayneedle
New Persian Super Kazak Vermilion 3' X 11' Hand Knotted Wool Geomation Rug H5076
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™