Ols Aquarium Question.

beumae680(Z5 Tn.)April 11, 2006

Hi Guys, This is my first time over here. Need some advice please. My son-in-law just gave me his 29 gal.Aquarium.It's at least thirteen years old.I have cleaned it with just plain water and filled the tank. It has been running for two days with no problems. Do you think a tank this old is likely to spring a leak.I had a ten gal. burst in my living room some years ago and swore I'd never have another aquarium in my house.Should it have been resealed before I use it. Thank's for any advise. Beulah.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Nothings a guarantee. If the seals are in tact it shouldn't be a problem. Storage conditions have alot to do with it. Too many variables in humidity and temperature to ccurately predict. Also handleing of it. A leak could happen even after a 2 day trial. This is true with brand new tanks. I have seen setups that use catch basins that are meant for clothes washers and water heaters "just in case" that people in apartments use. Either way, the leak should be somewhat detectable, by starting off small scale. Like damp spots and slight water loss. They also make "leak alarms" that give an audible sound if water is present. They can be bought in a hardware store, usually in the plumbing section. They are used for people with finished basements that can possibly flood from storm water infultration or plumbing malfunction. Some aquarium supplies sell them also. They cost about $12-20.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 7:43AM
uninformed_kitty

One thing to make sure of is that you keep the tank on a level surface, because uneven pressure on the glass can make it crack or shatter.

Maybe that's really common knowledge and I sound like an idiot telling you, but it's just the first thing that came to mind. ^^;

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 3:04PM
beumae680(Z5 Tn.)

My thank's to both of you . I will keep an eye on it.
I didn't want to hurt his feelings by saying I didn't want the tank. It is an expensive set up and really nice.I guess you take a risk whether its new or used.I just had a bad experience with a ten gallon tank. Sure would die of fright if it happened with thirty gallon . B.C.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Male and Female Betta Together?
I am a college student and I love fish. Since I had...
newbettaowner
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Plants for new freshwater aquarium
I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think...
RocksAndRoses
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Sponsored Products
Bling Clear Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$74.16 | Bellacor
Onyx Dome Fusion Jack Pendant
$171.36 | Bellacor
Laurey MelroseStainless Steel Cone Knob - 89101
$15.55 | Hayneedle
Henri De Rivel Rivella Close Contact Saddle Multicolor - 2010-R01P16
Hayneedle
Copper Bronze Patina Two-Light Wall Sconce
$85.00 | Bellacor