My bettas like each other, but they dont. o.0

uninformed_kittyApril 22, 2006

I got a female betta fish today, and I was hoping she'd get along with my male betta in my 10 gallon tank. All was fine at first, with him showing off to her and her following him around. They were together for maybe half an hour with no problems, but then he chased her away from his spot and bit at her (though he didn't actually hurt her fins any). His spot is sort of a well-covered spot at the top of the tank where he likes to hang out and build rather large bubble nests. When he did it a second time a minute later, I took her out. Maybe they'd have spawned if she had eggs and he had a nest? (His nests always get ruined when I do a water change, and he hasn't rebuilt yet.) It seems like he's mad because she's not ready to spawn yet. Nevermind his own lack of preparedness. I don't really want them to breed right now, anyway, I was just hoping they'd get along.

My question is, is it worth it to try putting them together again tomorrow? I have a 2 gallon tank for her to go in by herself, but I'd really rather that she be in the large social space. I'm likely getting another tank in October, which I plan to fill with other females from the same tank at the pet shop (I figure it's better since they already know each other), so the 2 gallon wouldn't be a permanent thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
It's usually not worthwhile as sooner or later he will attack the female. Might as well plan on keeping them separate except for breeding.
gary

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 4:32AM
littlehippygirl

Garyfla's right. Never keep a male/female pair together unless its supervised breeding. The female could rip apart the males fins, and the male could beat her up because she doesn't want to spawn. Either way, there isn't a good ending and they should always be kept in separate fish tanks.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 6:26PM
uninformed_kitty

It is possible to keep them together when they're not breeding, but I guess I just got unlucky. My male's not as docile as I thought. :/ C'est la vie.

I'll see if I can't find a small fish to live with her for the time being. I was thinking of something like a harlequin rasbora (the color and shape would match nicely), but they need to be in schools... If anyone has any suggestions for a very small fish that doesn't need a school, please tell me. Such a thing probably doesn't exist, from what I've read so far, but one can hope.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 12:51AM
littlehippygirl

Its never a good idea to keep the two sexes together, breeding or not. If you keep the girl in a two gallon you should not add anymore fish, especially if there is no filter. Its just not enough room.

Bookmark   April 24, 2006 at 9:32PM
thunderxrage

If you like some betas together, then just get the females only. Female betas can be combined together, but it depends on their personality. You will not know for sure, until you bring them home and supervise them in the tank. I once had 3 female betas in a tank and only 1 seem to be a little bit aggressive and the other 2 were peaceful. After a while, the 1 seem to calm down. Do not panic within the first few hours. Give it a few days, before you decide if you should remove anyone to return back to the store for an exchange or transferring to another tank.

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 4:18PM
emmamccartney_rocketmail_com

well u shouldnt have bettas together and you should always let them see each other first.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 2:49AM
More Discussions
new betta fish
I got a betta fish yesterday and when I put the water...
boulou3
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Sponsored Products
Educational Insights The Sci or Fi Files - 1762
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Each 53"W x 108"L Sheer
$200.00 | Horchow
Radiance? Nickel Flame Mini Pendant with Seafoam Green Glass
$178.20 | Bellacor
Blue & Beige Emily Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$14.99 | zulily
Hudson Arm Chair
Grandin Road