Thrips, springtails and symphalans

vall3fam(9 CentralCA)November 21, 2007

In the water reservoir of some of my violets, I'm finding some teeny light colored bugs floating on top of the water when I look to replenish the water. They move pretty fast and are so small they just skitter around on the tension of the water surface. On one strep, it looks like dust on the water until I look really close and see movement.

Do I need to worry about these? I don't notice anything moving on any of my blossoms, just on the water surface. I looked on Doctor Optimara and Steve Reed's bug sections and can't decide which of these fit the description. Do symphalans move fast?

Nancy, can you shed some light for me?

Elaine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Hello:

Sounds very much like Symphyla. These are long, thin with two antena. They have many sections of the body and many legs, 12 pair as adults. Colors may vary but they are often very light.

These won't cause a lot of trouble but they do feed on the tiniest roots. If there happens to be a large infestation, the plant will wilt.

Check your soil. Are you using garden loam, by any means? These are often in the garden and eat on fruits and veggies there.

Use a teaspoon of bleach in a gallon of warm water and pour over rootball over the sink. Hopefully any other of these pests will be leached out. Pour the whole gallon over the rootball.

You might also wish to repot using soil less mix only.

I found one on a plant shelf. He died before he had time to get into a plant.

Nancy

They do move fast.

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 9:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vall3fam(9 CentralCA)

Thanks, Nancy. I do just use a soilless mix that I made up myself. 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermicilute.

I'll try your suggestion with the bleach solution and then try repotting.

Elaine

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
What is happening to my African Violet leaves?
The edges are getting pale and brown and drying up....
louder92
Advice for Newbies
In reading through this African Violet forum, I see...
Linda
When will the leaf cuttings send out new growth?
I potted up 4 leafs in 4 small pots. Actually they...
tlbean2004
Worm castings
Has anyone actually used these? A year or more ago,...
fortyseven_gw
Copied from the Seed Exchange, explains reason for new Houzz format
The story none of us were told. kchd(7b/8a MS)February...
fortyseven_gw
Sponsored Products
Thrip/Leafminer Trap - 5 Pack - HGSLTLT
$16.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™