Care to conjecture on the life span of a blind black moor?

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)April 20, 2012

We've a blind black moor alone in a thirty gallon tank. It has been there for about three years. It is probably four years old.

Assuming proper care, would you care to speculate on how long it might be expected to live?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mattc8210(5)

Well I suppose we'd have to define what we mean specifically by "proper care." Obviously we mean excellent water quality, which, for one of these guys even in a 30 gallon, would mean double filtration. And keeping him well-fed while not overfeeding and ruining your water quality will always be an issue. So if you do these things I would think he could definitely live about 10 years. And I'm sure I've read about people having them for more like 20 years.

But another factor with goldfish is what temperature you keep their water. As you probably know goldfish like cool water below 70 degrees. Anything above 70 is going to speed up their metabolism and subsequently shorten their lifespan. That's one reason that goldfish aren't terribly good community fish. Do you have a heater in their with him?

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Most interesting Mattc. The wife has taken filtering and feeding into account but we never thought about the high temperatures.

We've the winter heating programmed for 68oF days and 64oF nights and the cooling comes on at 78oF in the summer.

We have never even considered what the water temperature is when the air temperature is above 70oF. I will start doing some research. I've a digital cooking thermometer with a remote probe which will give me room temperature and water temperature.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Is my Betta sick?
I've had my Betta fish for over 2 years now. Recently...
rrree
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™