Aquarium in a Bathtub?

lizmMay 24, 2012

I have one fish remaining in my 20-gallon tropical tank (a pleco). I would like to dismantle the aquarium and use an old cast iron tub that I don't use for my aquarium instead.

What would be required to do this? I'm trying to think, how could I put my filter, that currently hangs over the top edge of the aquarium, on the bathtub? or is there another type of filter that would work better on a classic cast-iron tub? (free-standing Victorian type). Does every aquarium filter require electricity? (I have an outlet, but it would be more aesthetically pleasing not to have a bunch of wires coming out of the bathtub, not to mention less dangerous)

Do I need an aerator for one pleco?

Temperature is no problem. It's very warm in there all the time due to a water pipe.

Anything else I should be thinking about? is this just a dumb idea?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kashka_kat(z4 WI)

Interesting - why not? Might look into small pond pumps/filters - I have one in an indoor stock tank but find that its too noisy- vibrates too much - fish dont like it. So, I too am looking for other options - something that could work.

One thing about using an old bathtub - every molecule of soap residue has to be removed bc it harms the fish, even very small amounts. The stuff commonly used to remove soap film could be hazardous too so Im not sure how you'd address that exaclty.

Caveat: I dont know anything about tropical fish - pond comets is about all I've ever had.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 11:16AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
I assume it would be located somewhere indoors?? You could use an air powered sponge type filter. Would require only a single airline with the air pump located anywhere.
Do you intend to add a substrate ,plants other fish??
gary

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 3:46AM
r3tic

Yes it can be done. You would need to remove all soap residues as mentioned earlier. You would want to make sure there were no chips in the paint as it would cause rust. I personally would run a canister filter using the drain and faucet holes in the tub. As far as the temp is concerned, the water will be 5-10 degrees cooler than the room due to evaporation. Let us know what you decide, if you end up converting it, please post pics. Good Luck!

Bookmark   June 1, 2012 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
new betta fish
I got a betta fish yesterday and when I put the water...
boulou3
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
+91-9780225275 vashikaran specialsit bangali baba +91-9780225275
+91-9780225275 vashikaran specialsit bangali baba +91-9780225275...
Harsh Dev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™