A Rest for a Gesnariad

gloriavictoria(z9 CA)November 7, 2007

I recieved a gesnariad as a gift. It is growing in my office under a full spectrum desk lamp and is still very lush and green. Is November the time of the year they should be dying back to have a rest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alenka(6)

What kind of a gesneriad it is, do you know? Not all of them go dormant. Did you mean sinningia speciosa, aka the florist gloxinia?

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 3:48PM
gloriavictoria(z9 CA)

I think it's a florist gloxinia. It has large deep pink blooms in the spring.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 1:15PM
alenka(6)

I have one florist gloxinia that's doing the same thing. A couple others looked ready for dormancy, so I cut the tops off, cleaned the tubers (the tubers were huge! and they are only a year old! I always get amazed at what plants create out of water, light and fertiliser :) ). But one plant still looks very good and even has one last flower. I'm waiting till the flower is gone, then I'll be cutting down on water, maybe it'll get the point. Maybe it still wants to grow its tuber a bit larger, who knows. I figure if it goes dormant a bit later, it'll then flower a bit later too, not a big deal. Maybe if it still looks good after Thanksgiving, I'll just cut the top off anyway. But then I'm not really an expert... Maybe someone who actually knows what they are talking about will show up and say what they think on this matter.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 10:44PM
jmcat(5)

I would suggest posting on the GW Gesneriad Forum to see if someone there can answer your question.
-Jmcat

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 6:04PM
fred_hill(6)

Hi,
This is just a guess on my part but I seem to remember that when bulbs are finished putting up their bloom you are supposed to remove the pod and let the leaves die back by themselves. This supposedly was to let the strength go back into the bulb. I know if I wanted to move tulip bulbs I would dig them up from where they were planted and had to trench them in till the greenery died off. Could a tuber be the same?
Fred in NJ

Bookmark   November 11, 2007 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Messaging, no following
Over on the Antique Roses forum (my other hang out)...
AnneCecilia z5 MI
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™