Dying Fish, Please help

Girl_in_MTMay 16, 2013

I have a well established 55 gallon tank that has been up and running for years. There was a mismash of fish, including 1 green cory cat, 1 columbian tetra, 1 penguin tetra, 2 long finned red tetras, and 5 red eye tetras. I purchased 3 fancy male guppies, 6 female guppies, 3 long finned red tetras and 4 cory cats 4 days ago. I acclimated by floating the bags of fish and then adding my tank water to the store water, then netting the fish and adding to tank. I have had almost all the new fish die except the cory cats who seem to be doing well (My penguin tetra died which is a total bummer, had him for years). The new fish look to have swim bladder issues and float vertically, then die. I feed only enough that they eat with none left floating.

Water testing yesterday yielded: Nitrite 0, pH 7.6 and ammonia .25. I did a 25% water change yesterday and changed the carbon in the filter and ammonia is now 0.

I know the ammonia was high, but would that cause the swim bladder like issues? I am at a loss. I have one of the red fin tetras in a quarantine with some methylene blue because I just don't know what else to do...he is floating around on his side and back.

I have included a picture of the tank, there is no undergravel filter and I do weekly water changes.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aussielover_oh

any idea what the pH of the fish tank store water was?

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 7:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Girl_in_MT

I am guessing it is not the pH, as some of my older fish are dying the same way as the newly purchased fish. The older fish have been in the tank for over a year.

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Blackmoor changing colors
One of my blackmoors has been developing the most unusual...
asleep_in_the_garden
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
guppies....why cant i keep them?
greetings: I have had several fish tanks since i was...
missa
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™