Betta in serious trouble

alexis(z8FL)May 11, 2006

I have a problem with one of my betta fish. My female betta fish had trouble with ich. She had only two or three white dots on her body yesterday night. Now she is covered with them. I gave her some Wardley anti-ich treatment stuff last night that was for parasites and fungus. Now I have her in a separate container with some of the green metha something stuff. The water is slightly blue. She was swimming earlier this afternoon. I added a pinch of aquarium salt to the water. I changed the water a little at a time and added some warm water. The fish improved and swam a little more, with some of the parasites getting off her. Then things got worse. She had trouble swimming but still swam straight. She took a gulp of air and then stopped moving. She moved her tail a little bit an hour later. Now her color is starting to fade (about 1/3 to 1/2 her body). But her body isn't deteriorating. Her eyes are in okay shape. I think maybe she gulped in some water (only a little bit). It's like she's in shock or comatose. Is there any hope for her or treatment I can do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Well it doesn't sound good. Sorry if this sounds stupid but are you sure she's not already gone? Are the gills moving? Anyway, I would remove all treatment with a 100% water change in your hospital tank.If you are filtering the tank, replace the activated carbon (A.C.)or add some if you dont use A.C. normally. The ICH treatments you used are really heavy duty, last resort treatments. They can sometimes do more harm then good. I am not saying that is what the problem is in your case, but often people have complained about other illness and death after treating with stronger medications like the ones you used. I have had great luck just using salt and turning up the heat when treating ICH.They are also quite toxic to humans. Some have not had this luck and resorted to the stronger stuff. I guess it deppends on the strain of ICH or the health of the fish itself. Hope everything works out. Check this article below for future reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treating ICH

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 7:43AM
alexis(z8FL)

The betta (Morrocan Beauty) didn't make it. She died early this morning. I think she went into shock due to the fact I changed the water too quickly from what I thought was warm in temperature and added the cold water too quickly. I now have a bottle of aquarisol that can be put into the water as a preventative. I also think the ich got resistance to the medicine since the ich came back from earlier occurence.

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 1:16AM
woeisme(z7b NC)

Alexis, the best prevention for disease is proper care and good water conditions. Get a 10 gallon heated filtered tank and do a fishless cycle (I can help you with this or refer some good articles from other fish sites). Auqarisol and other meds should only be used as a last resort and for treatment only. Aquarisol is copper based, not the right source of copper and aquariums can be disasterous. You shouldn't have to premedicate your aquarium for it to be a healthy place for fish.

Bookmark   May 13, 2006 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Blackmoor changing colors
One of my blackmoors has been developing the most unusual...
asleep_in_the_garden
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™