New aquarium Clear mucous on rock .

Raquel01June 25, 2013

I have recently purchased and set up a 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I set it up with Eco-complete planted aquarium substrate and added a small amount of gravel to the top layer (petsmart brand) well rinsed along w a red lava rock soaked prior to reduce cloudy water. Two days later I had the PH reading 7.0 and the temp at 76 degrees. This was Saturday, I figured it would be a good time to visit an aquarium store and purchase or at least plan my setup. At this time after relaying the temp and ph I was told it would be ok to buy plants and some basic fish. Please see photo. I bought a moss ball, a sword plant, a plant I cannot recall the name of and a bit of algae. In addition to my plants I purchased 6 neon tetras and 2 small angel fish* pic and some ghost shrimp that are difficult to count but so far i've counted ten. I have the Fluval filter that came with the tank, no heater, and an external thermometer. Currently the temp reads 79-80 and the PH tested at 7.0 with a basic kit.

Yesterday I clearly overfed the fish as there a bits of flakes stuck on the leaves of some plants that no one seems interested in (resolved-eye ball sized portions, giving them a day of fasting) but I noticed last night a clear mucous like growth on a rock that today has become larger and has sprouted a twin.

I am hugely concerned that I will cause my fish to die or become ill by not educating myself.

1. What can I do to rid the tank of this clear mucous? *Overhead pic on rock by tetras and slightly to right on bulb
2. Have I overpopulated my tank w shrimp?
3. How often should I change the water?
4. How much of the water should I change? I know that I must purchase a more complex water test kit and a gravel suction cleaner (on the list for tomorrow).

Any advise is GREATLY appreciated. I didn't buy these little guys to hurt them :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Raquel01

Unknown Angels Photo.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:26AM
michael1846(6)

Thoes are not angles they are black skirt tetras the tetras will eat the shrimp the more plants he less water changes 20 % water change 3 weeks u don't need any more fish your at your max good luck your tank is pretty

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 11:13AM
nature_freak

Plecostomus is also a synonym of the genus Hypostomus and the genus Loricariichthys.
Get the above they love to eat slime and your aquarium will be spotless.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
Newbie Betta owner here.
I just put together my first betta tank. It's 2.5 gallons,...
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
beautifully clear image
my school to get our telescope etc working. The camera...
salinallina
Sponsored Products
Mermaid Frame
$9.99 | zulily
Bayshore Medium Rectangular Wall Aquarium - B1SBLK
$299.99 | Hayneedle
Penn Plax Cambodian Rock Faces Aquarium Decor - RR966
$23.95 | Hayneedle
Bayshore Concave Aquarium with Starter Kit Multicolor - FW3
$170.21 | Hayneedle
Penn Plax Resin Rock Star Skeleton Guitarist - Large - RR738
$17.99 | Hayneedle