Sirens's Keep - buds stay shut inside

sunnysideuphill(5)July 24, 2011

This little rose came as a band, spring 09, went into the new rose garden and this is the second season with it - still very small skinny canes, not even 18" high - but pumped out full sized blooms that bent over from their own weight.

I've cut three stems with a full open rose, and two of them also had lower buds, fully developed, deep red - but in the vase, in the house, after the full bloom faded and was removed, even with recutting the stem, those buds never opened.

The incredible heat we've had may be a factor, but any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Each rose has its own habits about opening. Many very-double roses will open from tight bud even if the sepals haven't fully separated--but with some roses you need some separation of the petals before you cut.

However, I have no experience with SK. Paul gave this rose a very cool name, and the rose looks gorgeous in pictures.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 12:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

They were probably still too tight when you cut them to open. I've found on most roses the petals need to have just begun to open on their own before cutting to have them open inside. Just having the sepals down, showing color isn't enough.

I don't know if this works but I've heard a trick exhibitors use to get a too tight bud to open faster for a show is to gently squeeze around the bud to loosen up the petals inside. You might give it a try before you cut next time and see what happens.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Well, well, well....I found the culprit!
For the past few years, I have blamed my wood mulch...
mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
Would you share your garden with a stranger?
A woman on another forum whose house has a separate...
mariannese
I'm addicted to white roses , what is your addiction?
And I can't seem to stop wanting those I find ! I love...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
giving up
most of my clippings and practically all of my past...
Campanula UK Z8
Finished At Last!
Just finished planting the last three roses today which...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™