aquarium plants in a pond?

yng_grdnr(z6 lower hudson valley)June 17, 2007

Hello. i am a ponder and I am usually in the pond forum, but I am curious about placing aquarium plants, corkscrew val, for example, in a raised pond outdoors. the temperature is usually around 75, but does go up to 80+. I do have fish and regular pond plants. My plan was to have a few plants on the bottom of the pond for the fish to hide/play in. Will this work or will the plants end up dying? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

They should be fine as long as they get enough light and any fish in the pond don't eat them. Goldfish will usually demolish the softer plant leaves. Other then that they should do OK. Vals is probably a good choice since most ponders I have encountered have harder water and high pH.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 12:17PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
I find that most aquarium plants actually grow better in a pond. lol
Val makes a beautiful carpet given enough time. Swords,Cryps and Aponogetons also. Goldfish or Koi will be a problem as they will uproot them.. Of course there is always the problem of winter. I doubt most could survive a freeze. gary

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 4:45AM
birdwidow

Actually; all FW aquarium plants are pond/lake or stream/river plants in their native habitats and as Gary noted; will grow better outdoors than in an aquarium, but Koi or Goldfish will either uproot or nibble away on most of them.

However, they won't touch Java fern and will leave most Anubas alone. But Crypts and Aponogetons wouldn't last a minute with the smallest Goldie and generally need warmer water than a carp finds comfortable.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 9:41AM
yng_grdnr(z6 lower hudson valley)

thank you all for your help! I'll be getting some plants soon.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
guppies....why cant i keep them?
greetings: I have had several fish tanks since i was...
missa
Platy Questions
Hi, I've recently started a 29 gallon tank and currently...
Haider_Sakhi
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™