Newbie Saltwater Aquarium

hmb1303June 17, 2008

Can anybody tell me how to remove brown algae from my new tank. I placed live rock and sand in it about two weeks ago and I have returned home today to find it covered in brown algae.

Help! what am I doing wrong

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chad_emrick

Its been awhile since I had my saltwater tank, but maybe I can help.

Do you have the tank's lights on? When I cycled mine, I always had the lights off because I didn't want algae to grow. The lights don't need to be on while your tank is cycling, and algae shouldn't grow if they are off.

Like I said, its been awhile since I had my saltwater tanks so I could be wrong! Just though I'd try to help.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 8:23PM
smiles317(7)

Are you sure it is brown algae? If it is more like a rusted brownish color, your tank was exposed to way too much light.

Is it an established tank, or are you still cycling it?

If it established do a water change and get rid of about half the water, and get the magnet cleaner for the glass. If you are cycling invest in a protein skimmer and TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!!!

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 4:36PM
kevip711(8a)

How about diatoms that attach to my acrylic tank (brown spots and streaks).. I have to do a hard cleaning each week when I do my water changes to clean it off the front of my tank... weird as it seems to not affect the back and side walls and only the front.. the scrubber magnets arent strong enough to remove the growth.. it takes me about an hour each week to do the water exchange and cleaning of the front.. not to mention my clown bites me constantly while I am scrubbing.. my wife thinks its funny but that little suckers bite hurts.. he actually jumped out of the tank yesterday trying to attack me..

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 11:52PM
mcbdz(8 Louisiana)

Please go visit saltwaterfish.com and you will get a lot of the info you are looking for. The brown in a new tank is diatoms and is a normal part of the cycling process. If you are still haveing issues with them later then, you are most likely using tap water for topoffs and water changes. Use only RO/DI water and watch your water chemistry. Amm., nitrites, nitrates,phosphates, and others.
kevip, is it brown or a purpulish color? Their are a lot of different shades of coraline algea and if it is a crusty hard instead of soft I'd say it is coraline.
Pattie

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 9:25AM
kevip711(8a)

The algae is smooth and slick to the touch.. its not hairy and usually fills in the scracthes in the acrylic.. then spots.. been a pain to clean ever since I got the aquarium and has caused me to scratch up the acrylic cleaning it.. tank is well cycled even though I dont have any coraline algae on the back walls.. only a small bit on the rocks.. tank is over a year and half old..

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
beautifully clear image
my school to get our telescope etc working. The camera...
salinallina
Aquarium lights - lifespan?
I have a 20 gallon bowfront aquarium about 8 years...
ron_mummert
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™