where are they?

rosserJuly 30, 2006

I have one dalmation molly. I am pretty sure she is pregnant due to her size. well, I did find one baby in the tank. It seems to be doing quit well but only one? how long does it take to deliver all her babies? does she have them all at once or over several weeks?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skygee(z7NY)

Usually throughout a day. Not all babies often survive. Depends on breeding practices, how healthy the mother is, etc.

I've also found that molly and platy babies are visible the first couple of days, and then they seem to go into hiding before they eventually emerge a couple of weeks later. Depends on tank set up, I guess.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 12:40PM
iliketerrariums

I would think that either she or some other fish ate the poor little guys! I had a couple of marble mollies at one time and the fathers would be eating the babies as she had them! no sooner did they come out did the father gooble it up! some little ones always survived but most were eaten.

Bookmark   August 20, 2006 at 8:52PM
woeisme(z7b NC)

I usually only notice one to three at first. They are so small and quick. Then, like Skygee said, in a week or two the population doubles to triples as they grow larger and brave out of hiding.

Bookmark   August 21, 2006 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Is my Betta sick?
I've had my Betta fish for over 2 years now. Recently...
rrree
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™