Old violet

dogflowerNovember 29, 2011

Hi, I have a violet that's over 20 years old. Had it since 1994 from a friend, given to me in a plastic mixing bowl which it is still in now, it has not been replanted/potted all this time. I have only given plant food probably 3 times in the past 14 years, I don't pluck the dead blooms, they eventually fall off into the pot I guess. I water it about once a week, mostly when I see the leafs go limp because I forget but then give it a half glass of water, about 2 cups and it does fine. I recently took a couple cuttings and trading one to a friend in Arkansas for one of hers which is what brought me to this forum.

[IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m28/Blusteel_CaneCorso/IMG_3842.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dogflower

ok the pic did not show up let me try again. also wanted to say it blooms 12 months of every year it's just beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 9:48PM
ima_digger

WOW! That is one beaautiful violet. It looks like there are three or more crowns in the pot. You can separate them into their own pots and have three or more violets.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 9:01AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Exactly my thought - WOW-- and you got a cast iron one the way it survives the mistreatment. Worth holding to.

Suggestions -

-do not disassemble it all at once, Take one crown out and pot it separately - even if it doesn't have a separate root system - it roots easily if you cover the new potted crown in a baggie - pot and all. In this case - if it won't work for you - you still have the rest.

Do not wait until it goes limp, water it just before - when it is already dry but not droopy.

If you grow your plant as a single crown - it stays smaller, it is easier to remove spent blooms and leaves - and IMHO - more pleasure to look at.

But you sure do something right in your "different way" of growing it!

Irina

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 1:39PM
pembroke(6--Louisville KY)

different strokes for different folks. I love it just the way it is. Pembroke

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 6:01PM
dogflower

thanks for all the advice, I had no idea you put the cutting, pot and all in a baggy but I see how that would help root the cutting. I don't let it go limp intentionally, I loose track of days and forget to water it. Since it is always in bloom I don't feel it needs plant food, sometimes the blooms are so thick you almost see more pink then green.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 11:14PM
ocelaris(7a)

I like Gardenweb, but I really hate the actual forum format, it's just so clunky having to do html tags for pictures... if I wasn't in IT, I would have NO idea how to do that... hope you don't mind me putting the tags in.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:24PM
tommyr_gw

That plant is IMPRESSIVE! WOW!

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 2:42PM
eahamel(9a)

That's really incredible! And I have a hard time keeping one alive more than a few months! I've never seen one anywhere near that large, you're obviously doing something right!!!

And the forum format gets easier when you do it a bit. If you post pics to photobucket, you can copy and paste and the html tags will come along with the photos.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Red tint and leaves drooping
After moving my AV to a brighter window the leaves...
loveofbostons
Mini Wick Pot Solution Found!
My hubby actually came up with this one -- he's like...
oriole6
garden web/ houzz ??
three things: am I on garden web or houzz now? why...
pembroke
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™