Miracle Gro Peat Moss?

Greg(z8, San Antonio)November 23, 2012

Hello everyone! I recently used the last of the small bag of peat moss that I was using to make the 1-1-1 soil mix. The only type of small bag of peat moss now offered at both the local Home Depot and the local nursery is Miracle Gro peat moss with Miracle Gro fertilizer mixed in with it. This "new and improved" peat moss has me confused.... Has anyone used this type in their 1-1-1 mix? If so, did you adjust your wicking solution to account for the fertilizer in the Miracle Gro peat moss? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Stross -

you probably can use it - just do not fertilize your plants for a couple of months to use up the fertilizer.

Don't they carry these big bales of Canadian peat moss - 3 cubic feet - for $11? You just need to sieve it to remove the sticks. If you do not have place to store it - your friends with the gardens would love to use it up.

I.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 10:29PM
Greg(z8, San Antonio)

Thanks, Irina. I was thinking about doing the no fertilizer thing. Had not thought about using a big bale and sieving it. Good suggestions! Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:15PM
tommyr_gw

For NORMAL plants it's alright I guess but I don't like that they put ferts in ALL of their mixes (even Perlite). I grow carnivorous plants and it's NOT GOOD for them at all. It can kill them. They need to stop adding stuff to their mixes. It's not a good thing at all IMHO.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:57PM
Greg(z8, San Antonio)

I agree, tommyr. Sometimes "new and improved" isn't. lol Fortunately, I found a bag of Fertilome peat moss at another nursery. Just plain old peat moss, thank goodness.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 12:15AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hmmm - seems there is a very good reason for improvement - take $8 worth of peat moss, add 50 cents worth of fertilizer, repack - in Miracle Grow bag - and sell for $36 a baggie.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
Does anyone recognize this AV?
I was given a leaf last summer, identified as Optimara...
sueok_gw
Photographing AV's Question
This AV is a very dark shade of purple in real life...
lucky123
Followed Me Home ID?
This is more red/fuschia in real life. Red Reverse,...
lucky123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™