RE: Success from Seed -- At last! Update....

Greg(z8, San Antonio)November 22, 2012

Hello, everyone. Happy Holidays! Several months ago, I posted about finally having success in cross pollinating two of my AV's and getting the seed to sprout. Since several people asked for updates..... Here is a photo of the 15 seedlings that have made it thus far. (I just discovered another sprout in the soil in one of these, too!) Needless to say, I am eagerly looking for the first signs of little buds emerging on the most robust ones.... Maybe I'll see some by Christmas? We'll see.... Anyway, here is the photo of the seedlings of Firebird (Strain 1) x Blue Mist (a Russian variety):

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Wow, those look just great. I look forward to following the progress.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 1:41PM
Taxonomist3

I cannot wait to see what this produces! I rather like both parents! Are you currently still growing both parents?

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 5:40PM
Greg(z8, San Antonio)

Thanks for the encouragement! I am seeing "little things" emerging on a few of the larger seedlings, but believe some of them might be suckers, since they look more like little leaves rather than buds..... Yes, Taxonomist3, I am still growing both parents. Would not be without them! They are both great violets. That is Blue Mist to the left of the seedlings in the back. If you click on the photo in this post, it should take you to my Photobucket folder with pics of the two parents. Thanks again, guys.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:06PM
Jshwartzer(Zone 5)

AWESOME job, Stross! You are accomplishing something many growers think about, dream about, but never accomplish. Good for you! Please keep us updated on the progress. I am excited for you. Best, Joe

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 8:31AM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Went to your photobucket, the pix are great, you have got me really interested in those two plants now for sure. Very exciting process and it will be great to see what they produce.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 4:31PM
Greg(z8, San Antonio)

Well, I am waiting for the first blossom to open now. It is taking FOREVER, it seems like... like a child waiting for Christmas morning to come, with each day seeming like an eternity. lol :-) From what I can see, though, this first bloom will be predominantly, if not totally, a deep purple. I'm guessing it will be double, given the time that it has taken to develop. It seems to be floriferous, since it is showing 5 flower stalks for it's first bloom. This is one of the traits from Firebird I was hoping would show up in these seedlings. Almost all of the other plants have buds on them as well. I hope to be able to post a pic of the first bloom by the end of the week.... fingers crossed....

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 3:07PM
shahidsaif

well well thanks.

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
Is it possible to make a mini violet out of a regular sized clipping?
This is likely a really newbish question, but hey,...
SnowStorm
Shirl's Bright Lights
It's first bloom, the blossoms are two tone, purple...
bloodyfrancois
Top Dollar And Tommie Lou
I read that Top Dollar was one of the original 10,...
lucky123
Silverglade's Pennies or Chariots
Does anyone have a leaf or clone of Silverglade's Pennies...
littleblackbat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™