Hi Im new here and I love African Violets

FelicityJHNovember 20, 2012

Hi all Im new my name is Felicity and I live in New Zealand, I am a huge lover of African Violets and I have 11 in my collection. Some have been grown from leaf in soil or water. I have a nice collection and most of them flower all the time.

I hope to learn a lot in these forums especially since a few of mine have changed the colour of their flowers :(

Nice to meet you all

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Empress012

Welcome!!!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 12:29AM
dognapper2(5)

Welcome again!!!
When I first went to the internet to find out why I was killing AVs in regular cycles as if they were disposable I was amazed by all the variety options out there. Most of the people you meet on the forums will only want to help, no matter the question :) Changing colors generally means the plant sported/ reverted perhaps to something in its "family tree" ...or invented something new and lovely just for you!
Laurie in Maine
http://thoushaltnotkillavs.blogspot.com/

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 5:38AM
wendycoo

Welcome
I consider myself a newbie even though I have had AV's for almost 40 years. When I started up again in the spring and found these forum(s) I found all that could be done wrong I was doing. Biggest thing was mixing my new plants with old plants and transferring bugs around.
But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so my collection is growing slowly and I have learned so much.
Enjoy the posts and the huge knowledge that is here.
Wendy/Canada

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:08AM
aegis1000

Hi Felicity ... and welcome ...

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 9:26AM
tommyr_gw

WELCOME! You are going to have FUN here and learn a LOT! any questions? Just ASK!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:55PM
lilypad22(7)

Welcome. I'm glad they bloom regularly for you and you are enjoying them. tish

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 10:51PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

You will love this forum and gain a lot of great information. Glad to see you here.

Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:55PM
sapphirelydia

Hello Felicity and everyone! I'm new to both African violets and this blog too. I've just acquired my first AV last week, and have learned a LOT in the past few days from reading the old posts. Thanks for everyone again!

I especially want to say hi to Kiwis on this forum; I myself have moved permanently to Auckland from the U.S. this year. Where do you obtain your "novelty" AV's (i.e. anything other than the supermarket variety)? I had found Karen Panek's website and tried contacting her, but none of her email addresses seem to work. Otherwise, I absolutely cannot find any AV hybridizer in NZ. While many people on this forum have found novel plants in U.S. grocery or hardware stores, I have no luck in NZ (Countdown, Warehouse, King's Plant Barn, random florists, etc.). I'm just a beginner, so have no intention of buying overseas and dealing with import permits yet.

Felicity, roughly what AV's do you have in your collection, and where did you get them? I'm mostly interested in variegated / "girl" (i.e. scallop-edged) foilage; I'm not picky about specific named varieties. Maybe you could give me some pointers or sell me some leaves / plants!

Lydia

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Source for 1.5 inch pots, please
Hi, does anyone know where to buy 1.5" pots preferably...
Melody Rose
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
Clutter and combatting it
glass So, This will perhaps be the 5,000 GW discussion...
fortyseven_gw
Another newbie question
If the Rob's Combustible Pigeon has 3 sports and another...
frankielynnsie
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™