Jean-Pierre Croteau and Sagittarius Elite

jerome(z9 CA)November 26, 2011

Do any of you grow both of these cultivars, or have you at least seen live examples? Both look spectacular to me, and both look exactly the same. Any thoughts?

Are there any distinguishing marks to the "Russian" varieties that merits them being marketed as a class apart?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
james_ny(z7 NY)

i saw Jean-Pierre Croteau at lyndon's a few years ago, was the most stunning plant i ever saw, kick myself for not getting it.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 6:07PM
jerome(z9 CA)

I got one from Violet Barn a few months ago, and he's happily growing - probably the most vigorous of all the ones I ordered. Still no flowers, but that's normal: I put him in way too big a pot. Still lots of growth. Glad I ordered it.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 10:04PM
jerome(z9 CA)

Of the 4 I ordered in September, J-P Croteau is the easily the most vigorous. Still hasn't bloomed yet, but I think I see little buds starting to come up. Can hardly wait. Foliage is very beautiful and it looks like it'll be a symmetrical grower.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 11:08AM
bunnycat(z6 NY)

I like to root my leaves in water so I can watch the roots and babies grow in my kitchen windows. May not be the fastest way to do it, but it gives me pleasure.
Jean-Pierre Croteau drops roots and grows babies faster than any of the others that I have. The potted plantlets are vigorous too. Just love it!

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 2:10PM
ocelaris(7a)

So glad you asked... here's some pictures of my Saggitarius Elite I got from Rob's a few months ago...Mine seem to be more purplish. It has just a few flowers, but giants! mine is currently suffering from a bit of powdery mildew, and I need to get rid of some suckers. It's not the most healthy of my plants, but I only have one and I'm a beginner, so take that with a grain of salt.

More Pictures on my blog

SAGITTARIUS ELITE at Rob's

My Sagittarius Elite:

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 9:48PM
jerome(z9 CA)

Those photos are beautiful. Can't believe how large the flowers are. Thanks.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 9:56AM
ima_digger

ocelaris, I notice your pot are sitting down in container. how do you make the round holes in the top. I've tried with an xacto knife but it doesn't turn out OK.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Newbie at AV
I rescued this AV a few months ago, it was pretty sad...
loveofbostons
Fluorescent Lighting Questions
Hi Guys.... so i have not been super happy with my...
kaityinoregon
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
learning the NEW way
Just trying to find out how to post. Pembroke
pembroke
Does anyone recognize this AV?
I was given a leaf last summer, identified as Optimara...
sueok_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™