Transplanting new clones

Zoe_GardinerDecember 21, 2011

Hello! I'm cloning an African violet for the first time.

I planted cuttings in peat pellets about two months ago.

The new guys are coming up well, but I'm unsure of when to transplant them.

I know that the FAQ says:

"When babies are about 2 inches tall, or have at least 4 leaves per plantlet, separate and put each into individual pots."

I have one plant that has *tons* of leaves but is definitely much smaller than 2 inches. It's also come up quite a lot lower than the soil surface (the new growth actually disturbed the soil on top to the point where it just fell off) I don't know if that will be an issue or not... I would guess not but any insight would be appreciated!

Anyway, my main question is if this particular plant should be transplanted now, or left to get bigger first.

I have pictures, I'll post them in the gallery under the heading "New African Violet Clones." If anyone can take a look and help me figure out how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

- Zoe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zoe_Gardiner

I tried uploading the picture, but can't because it's larger than the allowed limit and I don't know how to resize it. I can send it to anyone willing to help though!!

I'm particularly invested in this particular venture as it's a clone of my 24 year old violet that died two months ago. My mom repotted it and killed it. :(
I was very attached!

I do have the picture posted on facebook and have made it public, so it might be possible to see it that way.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150449756942182&set=a.10150432446427182.370800.516492181&type=3&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Clone

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 12:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Zoe - it is yet too small. You have plenty of babies there which you need to separate - do not keep them together - you will have several young plants coming - but probably you need to wait another month. The grow faster if you fertilize them - weak solution of the fish emulsion will work.

Irina

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
wanted: i may be jumping the gun...spring rr
I just cannot wait any longer! Since RRs take a while...
Linda
sooo, what's new?
Got new plants? Trying something different? What's...
froeschli
Reducing a collection in size
Not saying I have to do this yet, however, what I would...
fortyseven_gw
NOID single blue thumbprint
just got at HD. similar variegation on both, except...
petrushka
Give me your best yellow violet
Looking to brighten up my pinks and purples. What...
Tally
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™