White Worms in Aquarium

karakittenJuly 23, 2008

I've have these tiny little white worms that swim in the water with a flaggelating motion and that crawl onto the grass lids of my aquariums- i was under the impression that if i were to do many water changes they would go away- not the case! I seem to have many less in my goldfish tank (30 gallons) cause the goldfish eat them when they swim. in my pleco/bala tank (80 gallons) they are much more prevelant. How do I get rid of these? they seem harmless but they are all over the glass and not even wiping them off seems to help. Supposedly they are from too much food but I have tried cutting back on food. help if you can please...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brockthegreek

Hi karakitten,
From your description, it sounds like you have planaria,a non-parasitic flatworm. They don't pose a threat to your fish. If you want to get rid of them for aesthetic reasons, you might try a snail removal product. Being invertebrates like snails, it should work. I had a tank overrun with so many snails I couldn't look through the glass and see my fish. Within 30 minutes of putting in the product, the snails were dropping to the bottom. All snails were dead after two days of treatment.
BTG

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 5:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Some fish will eat them as well. Can you scrape them off with an algae scraper?

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
Blackmoor changing colors
One of my blackmoors has been developing the most unusual...
asleep_in_the_garden
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™