Does my Pleco have dropsy?

shipfleeperJuly 24, 2005

My Pleco, Abu, has ben developing a large belly lately, but it looks different to me than dropsy in a betta (which I have seen many a case of). The belly is much lower. He is growing quite rapidly all over, and has exceeded the size of my betta. He gets fed an algae pellet daily before bedtime, and nothing more other than the natural algae in the 2.5 gal tank. His only other tank mate is Jafar, my betta.

I am hoping this is not dropsy, as I have heard rumors that it is incurable and highly fatal. Any advice is welcome and sorely needed!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Minaku(z6 Pittsburgh)

Whatever it is, move him to another tank immediately. A pleco, even a small one, should never share space in a 2.5 gallon with another fish - there's just not enough water.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Take minaku's advise. The betta alone in a 2.5 is enough. Plecos grow rapidly and need very large tanks. Exception is the smaller ones like "bristlenose plecos" they only get about 4.5". Sorry sounds like dropsy. Another possibility is just bloating from eating to much protien from the left over "meat" foods bettas eat. Usually Malawi Cichlids get this as thay are primarily vegetarians and get "bloated" from eating too much meat proteins if kept with carnivores. It is possible for other species to get this and it is deadly if not treated. Isolate the fish anyway for treatment. One distinct symtom of dropsy is protrudeing scales along with the bloat. The link below is kind of a PITA to navigate but has listed treatments.

Here is a link that might be useful: fishy farmacy

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group CNDL-8564 - Arcadia 4 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Flat R
$398.00 | Hayneedle
Couristan Everest Geometrics Rug - 63034343020037T
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Wella Gray 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Fifth Avenue Collection 3-Light 22" Wide Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Warm White LED Christmas Curtain Lights C05156-S 5mm Conical
EnvironmentalLights.com
Claret Red Vintage Cotton Velvet Single Panel Curtain, 50 X 120
$117.95 | Bellacor
Bold & Fun Stripes Personalized Bowl
$16.99 | zulily
Furniture of America Marvey 75-inch Modern Cappuccino 5-Tier Corner Bookcase/ Di
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™