Neons and Sharks

TylerKnuthIAAugust 11, 2005

All the fish in my fish aquarium right now can cope with being with a red tailed shark but i dont know if my neons can. I have 12 neons. Would the shark attack them? or what about a rainbow shark? Would either of these sharks work? Thanks

Tyler

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

I would guess as long as you have cover(plants and decorations) the neons will "outrun" any shark attacks. If you dont have alot of plants plastic or real I would reccomend them. Neons like heavy planted tanks. The bigger fish rule always applies, If a fish is small enogh to fit in another fishes mouth, it just may end up there.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 10:52AM
LinLee(z5 MI)

It always helps to know the tank size and decor specs, but in general it should work. Rainbow sharks are said to be more agressive than red tail and both can be fighters, but neither will get big enough to actualy attack the neons with intent to consume. I would recomend the red tail, and only one of them as they are overly agressive towards their own kind as they age. If your tank is under 30G theres no way any shark will work, but as long as there is enough rockwork/planting and enough space for the other fish to stay out of what will be a very strict territory everything will be fine.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 6:14PM
TylerKnuthIA

My tank is a 55 gallon tank and my fish i have in it are 4 platies, 4 swordtails, 12 neons, 4 gouramis, 3 black phantom tetras, pleco, clown loach and cory cats.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Plants for new freshwater aquarium
I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think...
RocksAndRoses
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™