lighting

gary368August 20, 2007

i have a 150 gal show aquarium it is about 32 inch deth my light is 4 each 96 watt sunpaq (power compact) 96 x 4 =384 div 150 = 2.56 a gal . i have a milwaukee sm700 lux light meter with waterproof probe. i put the probe on the botton my aquarium and the reading was 450-500 lux. can some one tell me what the conversion is watt per gal ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

It depends on the lights spectural wavelenghth(s). Each colors wavelength has its own formula to get the LUX. I would do a google or yahoo search on LUX conversion if you know "exactically" what particular wavelength you want to convert. Is the lighting for freshwater plants or marine corals and such? Or, what exactly do you need to know this for?

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanical_bill

I did some research for you. If you go here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux it will state the following. It is a very nice, understanding article.

The lux is one lumen/meter2, and accordingly the corresponding radiometric unit, which has no special name, is the watt/meter2. There is no single conversion factor between lux and watt/meter2; there is a different conversion factor for every wavelength, and it is not possible to make a conversion unless one knows the spectral composition of the light.

Here is a link that might be useful: wiki

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
beautifully clear image
my school to get our telescope etc working. The camera...
salinallina
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™