Sick fish

annemun(z8NC)August 6, 2007

We recently lost a betta to a fungus. I sanitized his tank & equipment, but neglected to do the nets I had used with him. Yesterday, in our 37-gal community tank, we have found a serpae tetra with a white cottony-looking spot on the side of his head, so we moved him to a separate container. Today at lunch, he had died and we saw 2 red wags in the big tank starting to get white places on their fins. Have I transferred the fungus to the larger tank via the nets? Can the entire tank be treated at one time safely? without harming the plants (heavily planted)? Also have a shrimp, 2 crabs & quite a few other fish. Are they all in danger of gettng this fungus now?

I hope someone can help (woeisme?) as we do not want to

loose them all. We just did a 50% water change day before yesterday, it's testing OK.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triple_b(BC 5b)

Pima fix and Mela fix are both natural substances that are supposed to work really well on fungus WITHOUT messing with your biological filtration. In other words, you don't need to remove the carbon or anything. Give 'em a try. It is supposed to be even safe for scaleless fish, like clown loaches.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 2:31PM
annemun(z8NC)

Will these substances have any detrimental effects on the other, healthy fish? Or do any harm if it's not a fungus?
Thanks very much.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 3:36PM
birdwidow

Neither PimaFix nor MelaFix will harm any of your fish or shrimp, but you still need to remove the carbon from your filter to prevent it's losing it's healing properties.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 5:47PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

I stand corrected on the carbon.

Here is a link that might be useful: some info on Pima and Mela fix

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 8:35PM
meghan2

I really wish I could help, but I'm new to this myself. Either way, I wish you all the best. I have a fish too that is not quite acting like himself, and I'm doing everything to make him feel better. I hope both of us can save them.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 12:15AM
triple_b(BC 5b)

Meghan, take heart. There are alot of really good fish medicines out there. Diagnosis is the first key. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
Sponsored Products
Arteriors Home - Bilbao Lamp - DK46017-765
Great Furniture Deal
Key Largo Coral Life Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
School of Fish White Wine Tumblers
Classic Hostess
Gulfstream Cream and Blue Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
River City Clocks 16-11 Fisherman Raises Fishing Pole Cottage Cuckoo Clock Multi
$440.30 | Hayneedle
Swiss Grills Zug-1 Portable Stainless Steel Outdoor Grill
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™