Question about Prime by seachem

meghan2August 5, 2007

Hey guys...I've heard that Prime is the best...so I used that to reduce the Ammonia....I used it three days ago and it kept the ammonia below 0.5...today it is about 0.75...should I add some more to the water....Basically my question is how often can I add it...only during water changes...or regularly when I need it....and can I add more than the recommended when I use it everyday...any harm to the fish? Please let me know....I hate doing water changes every 3 to 4 days...

Also, the Prime has reduced my ph level quite a bit. Is that normal? I should be going to the next level, but my ammonia is not converting to nitrite or nitrate...they are both at 0. This could be because I am changing the water too often...but I just don't want any harm to the fish due to the ammonia...

Please help...I'm really confused...Thank you in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

I would wait until your ammonia level is nearer to 1.0ppm ( just don't let it exceed 1.0ppm for a long period of time) but doing a PWC(partial water change)when it gets to .75ppm is OK. I would use new water that is conditioned with Prime rather then adding it to the tank directly. It is safe to add it directly, and to double dose if neccessary. You can use up to 5 times the dose needed if the levels are becoming toxic. The reason why it takes longer in your case is because you are monitoring the ammonia. The trick is to maintain the ammonia under 1.0ppm, but don't remove all of it. Prime only detoxifies ammonia, the PWCs remove it. You want traceable ammonia at this point until nitrites are detectable and ammonia is not detectable without doing any PWCs. The hard part is you need the ammonia because it is the bacterias food source. No food source, no bacteria. This takes alot longer then if you didn't let the ammonia build, but it is better then sick or dead fish? Most people new to the hobby do not want to deal with sick or dead fish. If it doesn't bother you replacing them if they die or get ill, then let the ammonia build until nature does it's job and the first stage of bacteria grow. It will be quicker this way for sure. Prime shouldn't lower pH, but if it does, use a dash (1/8 tsp) of baking soda and check pH after 2 hours, repeat until pH is above 6.6ppm pH. If it doesn't dive below 6.6 that is fine. Lower pH water with ammonia is actually less toxic then water that has a higher pH. Here is a link to Seachems website and article about Prime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prime

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 1:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meghan2

I know what you are saying, but I don't want the fish to be harmed. At least, I want to do all I can to save them. I know that the process will take longer this way, but ....thanks...the article was very helpful...I have posted other messages with different info.....please advice..thanks!

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 4:15PM
More Discussions
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
Plants for new freshwater aquarium
I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think...
RocksAndRoses
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
Sponsored Products
Personalized Artisan Board with Name or Phrase
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Rachel Mocha Fusion Jack Bronze Mini Pendant
$371.52 | Bellacor
Modern Fan Company | Velo Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
Artificial Grass: RealGrass by Real Grass Lawns Flooring Standard Artificial
$37.20 | Home Depot
Order's Up Tray
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
Americh Chios 6636 Tub (66" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™