Dalmatian molly-male or female

fishmomAugust 16, 2007

I recently bought 2 beautiful dalmatian mollies a couple of weeks ago. I can't seem to tell if one is a female or not. Both are mostly black and the pics I have seen on the internet show that the females are mostly white with a few black spots. The one in question is mostly black, but it appears to have quite a bit of white on it and the other fish is alot darker and has alot more black on it. The internet also says something about a pregnancy spot. What is this and where would I find it. The only reason I ask, is that the fish I think may be a female looks rather chubby in the belly and she/it has a red spot on her sides. I recently had baby fish and I don't know who the parents are and I wonder if maybe my mollies may be the parents. Also, recently, the male fish has been chasing off the other one (female/it). It's almost like he is jelous and doesn't want anyone touching her or something weird like that. If someone has any clues that would help me, that would be great. I do have the fry net with one fry in it. If I have more coming, I would like to know in advance if possible. Please help! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Just like most livebearers the anal fin (fin on the bottom closest to the tail)will dictate the sex. Females have a kind of seashell ( for lack of better term) look. Males have a pointed fin, like a stick or something similar sounding 80) check the bottom of the page in this link for pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Molly Sexing

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 9:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Click on the link for a picture of a female guppy. That will give you the concept of the same for the molly. Females are larger than males and have rounded fins.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Sponsored Products
Plaid Jingle Bell Pet Collar
$15.00 | FRONTGATE
My World Cotton Fire Truck Pillow
$29.99 | Bellacor
My World Cotton Fire Truck Valance
$34.99 | Bellacor
Pongo Spots Wall Art
Grandin Road
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™