Does my Betta have Fin Rot?

icurfubarSeptember 10, 2012

I all, I have had a Betta for about 3 weeks. First week he was in a big jar, which was always clean. Next 2 weeks he was in a fish bowl and as of yesterday he has his own filtered tank (it was a working progress). My problem is that I was away for the 2 weeks that he was in the bowl and because it had a live plant inside it, it got very dirty and my housemates took no notice. He's in a big clean tank now but I can see a little white on the edges on all his gorgeous fins :-( I'm just wondering if this is the start or the end? I'll race into the pet store first thing tomorrow if he needs meds. I know you can't see him but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbrow156(Cairns QLD Australia)

Sounds like he might unfortunately...good news is it is curable...It takes a different amount of time for each fish...Just Go to your local aquarium and fish shop and ask for their best medication for fin rot. I cant remember the one i have always used but they will be able to help you. I always leave my medication in the tank for as long as possible. Do not change the water. Just top up the tank as it evaporates. The medication i use turns the water a blue colour. Put him in a small tank..anything less then 5litres as you then wont have to use as much medication. Once you are sure that the fin rot is gone you can then change the water in the tank.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 9:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammypie(9)

First of all, NEVER, EVER allow someone else care for your fish while you are away. They can NEVER care for your fish like you can. Unless they know how to care for fish.

Put him in a 2-1/2 gallon aquarium. It's only $14 at PetSmart and with a small heater you betta will thank you for it!

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
Sponsored Products
Xeniva Blue 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
16" Round Pure Black Granite Stone Bathroom Sink - RONDO SHADOW
Living'ROC
Orleans Outdoor Sofa with Cushions in Chocolate Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Red Cedar Swing Stand for 6' Swing
Fifthroom.com
Eangee Jellyfish Green Cocoa Leaves 64" High Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus