Pookah & Cymbeline

Sylvia Weiser WendelJuly 16, 2014

My generous-gardener neighbor yesterday gave me one each of the above roses. I've looked them up here, but couldn't find any really conclusive information. Cymbeline in particular led me back to the no-more-Austins thread, about which I could say much (and everyone else already has). Not going there right now ...
So how about these two? Pookah will be my first polyantha. Does it really stay that small? Sounds like more of a ground cover. How much sun can it take in a hot-dry climate? Any tips on growing it?
Cymbeline sounds as if it could be fantastic. It's been linked to St. Swithun, which I know does well around here. My Austins have for the most part are not blooming now, except for the unstoppable Tamora, Munstead Wood and Darcey Bussell. I have had exactly one Falstaff bloom (out of two bushes) all year, and the budless canes are shooting up right now ... the shovel awaits! (although, to be fair, I put it in more shade than it apparently likes). Queen of Sweden has a few buds; same for Alnwick. Carding Mill is resting; I just moved it back into the sun from a shadier spot and expect it to do better soon. Molineax went into the ground in the spring and seems to hate it there; maybe it'll go back into a pot.
I was thinking of replacing my Falstaffs with St. Swithun (the wall behind has been painted and the dark red Falstaffs wouldn't look good there now), so would Cymbelline work as well?
Thanks,
Sylvia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jerijen(Zone 10)

Syliva -- I grow Cymbaline. It's one of my husband's favorites, with blooms that have a delicate opalescent quality. It's also absolutely disease-free, and fragrant.

For us, it is a sparse bloomer, but may perform more generously in your warmer conditions.

Pookah is considered to be a Polyantha, and was a big winner recently at the Biltmore rose trials. You will love this little guy.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 2:33PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Same experience as Jeri on Cymbaline--stingy bloomer, superb disease resistance.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 2:54PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

I see no one has yet replied re. 'Pookah.' It's a rather new rose, and (IMHO) charming. I had it for a while, and lost it, and drought-permitting would like to have it again.

See:
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.61438

It's a single, which I love -- and it was disease free in my fog-encouraging garden. I can't imagine not loving 'Pookah.'

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 6:19PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

OH heck -- I should have put the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: POOKAH on HMF

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 6:20PM
seil zone 6b MI

I'm pretty sure Roseseek has Pookah. Maybe he'll chime in or you could send him a PM.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 8:19PM
ms. violet grey

My Cymbeline is a new arrival. I have 3 buds, should open very soon.
I am interested in experiences with this rose also.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 10:49PM
roseseek

I think I had about the second plant of Pookah when Jimofshermanoaks handed me one from his original plant. In this area, Pookah is what Ballerina SHOULD be, but isn't. Ballerina is terminally chlorotic in every garden I've grown it in and suffers greatly from crown gall, mildew and blackspot. Pookah has none of those issues. It isn't "little", though. Mine regularly hits four feet tall and wide and would likely get larger if it had more water and less competition from the neighbor's twenty foot photinia hedge behind the fence. The color is much darker (even in most of the day southern sun), foliage MUCH denser and greener and much better at supporting itself compared to Ballerina, too. It is a great landscape rose for this area, resembling an ever flowering medium to darker pink with white centers hydrangea. I like the rose much and have used it quite a bit for breeding new seedlings. Of course, I am probably prejudiced in its favor because Jim rooted it for me, but it is, in its own right, a great garden/landscape rose for this area. Kim

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
looking for McGredy's Yellow
Any one out there know of a source for McGredy's yellow,...
fleabie
Lizzy in the garden
Off topic - sorry, but I know you all like animals....
jacqueline9CA
Jenny Duval
Hey! I was wondering if anyone grew this rose and knew...
Alana8aSC
Pink multiflora ?
A local rose member (9b Vegas) gave me a “PINK MULTIFLORA...
gardentiller
Can I have an antique rose hedge in zone 10?
Hi all! I recently moved into a house in coastal SoCal...
glitzalicious
Sponsored Products
Cymbeline Yellow 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Cymbeline Side Table - FOX3205A
$134.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™