bamboo

iliketerrariumsSeptember 9, 2008

Hi all, Im wondering if anyone here has ever used dry bamboo as a decoration in an aquarium? If so have you had any problem with it? Like the water changing color? rotting? fish dying? any info at all will be appreciate = )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fishandflowers(5)

It's actually not a true aquatic plant, nor is it true bamboo. It's a member of the Dracena family. It usually does ok, and sometimes even grows a bit, but eventually it usually starts to melt. That usually takes a few months though, so you can always use it for a time, then pull it into a vase or something where it can come up out of the water. Remove algae from the leaves frequently, or use an otocinclus catfish or flying fox (plecos can damage the leaves)

Here is a link that might be useful: petfish.net

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 2:53PM
birdwidow

May I presume you mean pieces of dry bamboo, and not the live plants sold as "Lucky Bamboo" referred to in the previous post? Those are indeed, members of the Dracena family and not true aquatics, but then, neither is bamboo, which is an upland grass.

But I would not use true dried bamboo as a tank decoration, because it will quickly rot and also, won't sink without weights and when it becomes waterlogged enough to do so, it's already on it's way to becoming a soggy mess.

If you like the look of it, while I am a live plant & real driftwood and rootwood fan, for the appearance of bamboo, ceramic or acrylic would be a safer alternative to genuine, organic material.

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 9:19AM
kevip711(8a)

Real boo.. dried and dead would not affect your tank.. and would be fine.. could it possible rot at some point.. possibly.. but should be fine if it is properly already died out and dried out..

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
Blackmoor changing colors
One of my blackmoors has been developing the most unusual...
asleep_in_the_garden
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™