have you seen marbled BLACK convicts?

woodnative(6)September 19, 2006

The common, ever-breeding, tank-terrorizing convict cichlid. The "wild" striped form and the "pink" form are common. You will also find "Calico Convicts" which look like the pink with a varying degree of random black splotching.

However, in the local chain pet store I recently saw an individual convict which looks like a wild, striped convict with the extra, random black areas. Half of its caudal fin and most of the anal fin are black, with some small, random black areas on his side. Much like a "Calico" convict on a striped background. I never saw this before. This is a healthy individual and the black is pigment, not disease. Anyone else seen this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierra_z2b

Nope can't say I have ever seen marble concict cichlids, but then, I haven't seen the calicos either.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 5:22PM
birdwidow

There are some chiclid breeders trying for all black convicts. Why, I don't know, but you may have seen some breeder's culls.

Bookmark   September 22, 2006 at 8:42PM
woodnative(6)

Although I wasn't looking to get convicts, I bought this individual shortly after my last post. He has already grown a lot!! The black is quite nice, and does not fade with the mood of the fish. Two other males in the original tank also had some black speckling. I have not found a female, or any others of this color. Since he was growing so fast, I went out and bought a female, normal striped variety. It was the largest I could buy but already smaller then him. I am curious how this black is passed onto the offspring. To be continued......

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 11:40AM
woodnative(6)
    Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
Plants for new freshwater aquarium
I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think...
RocksAndRoses
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™