how to start up a 75 gallon aquarium?

fairydustSeptember 13, 2007

i just inherited a fairly new 75 gallon aquarium. what type's of tropical fish do well in this size? do angel fish do well? what types of freshwater plants thrive? this will be a freshwater aquarium.any help is deeply appreciated. fairydust

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

If you've never done an aquarium before I suggest you study, study, study first. Got to www.wetwebmedia.com and read the section on freshwater aquariums. Read the frequently asked questions.
Your questions are a little open ended. Once you've studied and get an idea of what you think you would like, come back to this forum and ask specific questions and I'm sure you will get lots of help and suggestions.

Bookmark   September 13, 2007 at 4:21PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

You have a variety of fish and plants, depending upon your tastes, to put in a tank this size. Angelfish would be fine. And to go with Angels, you try Gouramis, livebearers (Guppies, Mollies, Swordtails, Platties). As to plants, you can buy Swords, Vallisneria, Anacharis, Cabomba,...

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 4:53PM
woeisme(z7b NC)

I would suggest doing a fishless cycle. It saves alot of heart ache in the end. If you want to do the plant thing then start the plants first. Get them to start growing well then add fish. Plants will need a good supply of light in your big tank. Plants that do well in low light that are good "begginer" plants are java fern, foxtail/parrot feather/frill what ever the local fish store calls it. Water sprite is good to, but may need medium to low light to do well.

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 10:12PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Water Sprite happens to be my favorite plant, when I was a kid, and propogating livebearers and bubblenest builders. How do plants get the Nitrogen Cycle going?

Bookmark   September 17, 2007 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
+91-9780225275 vashikaran specialsit molvi ji +91-9780225275
+91-9780225275 vashikaran specialsit molvi ji +91-9780225275...
Harsh Dev
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
Trading guppies for aquarium plants
I have some very nice yellow guppies that are young...
OurFurkids37
Male and Female Betta Together?
I am a college student and I love fish. Since I had...
newbettaowner
Plants for new freshwater aquarium
I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think...
RocksAndRoses
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™