Cloudiness

dipsetta(z5 NY)September 4, 2005

Im running 2 emperor 400 on a 72 gallon bow face aquarium. I have about 2 dozen guppies, about 6 tetras and 3 baby red belly piranha's. For some reason my water stays cloudy. The tank has been established for a few months now, but the water remains cloudy. Filtration is adequate(both filters are rated at 80 gallons). Even after i use some water clear it stays cloudy. PH is at 6.5, ammonia is next to nothing, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is about 40 ppm. What could the problem be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Ammonia should not be detectable in an established tank. pH is slightly low but for tetras/ pirahna thats good. If the pH from the tap is higher and it becomes acidic after being in the aquarium with the ammonia showing it "could" mean a start of an system crash. The nitrates are s little high but not at a toxic level yet. A PWC may be in order. You do mean niTRATES not niTRITES? Are the guppies/other tetras feeders? if not they will soon be LOL. The liquid clear is not a good thing. Alot of them have phosphates/phosphorus that can cause algae blooms in the end. They are also known to be toxic to some fish as well as your bio-filter. It is not uncommon for a new tank to become cloudy after it has cycled for the first time. Is it a brown type of algae? Or a slightly milky color? either type is also common after a tank has cycled or is still establishing a cycle.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
guppies....why cant i keep them?
greetings: I have had several fish tanks since i was...
missa
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™