Sick Fish?

newbettaownerOctober 31, 2005

I have a betta and it has been about 3 months from the purchase date. He recently can not keep his food down. I feed him small pellets normally and he will eat one and spit it back out. I then thought that maybe right now he just can't swallow somthing that hard. A little later I fed him a blood worm (thinking that since it is soft it will go down easier) he eats it and spits it right out again. I then tried feeding him fish flakes and the same thing happened. He also is not as active as he was before. He now just lays on the bottom and periodically come up for air. I changed the water because of all the uneaten food. What is wrong with my fish?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Is he slightly "bent" looking? Is he emaciated? Go to www.about.com and search freshwater fish disease to help isolate.

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 4:18PM
james_ny(z7 NY)

Try some live brine shrimp, my betta's love them. Probably not a long term solution but may get him back on track.

Bookmark   October 31, 2005 at 6:16PM
woeisme(z7b NC)

Is this a heated aquarium or a small aquarium or bowl? I see you live in PA. The cool weather in an unheated aquarium will make fish lathargic and slow metabolism. This would make him lay at the bottom and be uninterested in eating also.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 8:55AM
newbettaowner

He is in about a gallon bowl. It is not heated but the room temperature is a constant 73 degrees (thinking that the water temp would be the same). I was told by a friend that fish do get weird when the barametric pressure drops. Is that true?

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 1:10PM
KarlZ8(7b eastern NC)

Newbettaowner-
Bettas hail from southeast asia and prefer a temp closer to 80 degress. His lethargy and poor appetite is related to water temp as woeisme mentioned. Continue trying a variety of foods, he was likely raised on something other than what you are providing. Frozen adult brine shrimp or frozen beef heart would be a good alternative to live brine (don't want to spoil him). BTW, bettas have a normally short life span ~2 yrs. You may have an old one! Barometric pressure plays a role in fish behavoir/spawning- doubt this is his problem.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 1:38PM
newbettaowner

Thanks for all your help. He is slowly starting to eat the food i provide him. I have no doubt that he will be better. Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 6:00PM
woeisme(z7b NC)

Room temp and water temp will vary. Just like if you leave a glass of water out. In the winter it will stay cold or be colder than the room.

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Stupid Walmart, i want to cry
I hate my walmart even more now than i did before....
Cheart99
Do Bettas mix well with other fish?
I recently rescued two bettas from a pet store (male...
Kosplath
Blackmoor changing colors
One of my blackmoors has been developing the most unusual...
asleep_in_the_garden
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Sponsored Products
Gulfstream Cream and Blue Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Fish Wall D├ęcor Set
$149.99 | zulily
Trower 60-inch Oxidized Bronze Finish Floor Lamp
Overstock.com
Outdoor Cooker
Overstock.com
Compagnie Grenadine Decorative Pillow
$149.50 | FRONTGATE