Please help with cloudy tank

jaalaOctober 1, 2007

My goldfish water is cloudy, not milky but light green. I have been changing water daily. I actually dont really know what I am doing...I am putting the tablets the lady at the store told me to put in so the water is good for the fish and been changing 2 1/2 gallons out of a 20 gallon tank daily. I have tried the water clarifing stuff but its not working. I dont want to kill my fish!!! Please help. Oh, if you cant tell I do have live plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

Aside from the fact that goldfish are notoriously messy, you might be experiencing "New Tank Syndrome". How long has the tank been set up, especially the filter? The filter may not have had the time to go through the Nitrogen Cycle and develop "good bacteria" to handle the wasteproducts. Do you have an Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates kit?

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 12:22PM
stever_sl(St Louis MO)

"I have been changing water daily." I wouldn't do that, even at the 1/10th level you mention. The tank can't completely cycle if it's always seeing new water. (Unless this is an older established tank and the cloudiness is something new?) I'd also skip the tablets and miracle water remedies, they can do more harm than good as they accumulate in the water. My fish and plants have been thriving for years, their water is crystal clear, and I can't remember the last time I did even a partial water change -- I top up with distilled water so as not to keep adding more and more minerals from tap water, though. Anyway, let the tank completely cycle as "petiolaris" said, without doing any more water changes, and then things should settle down aside from the murk that your fish may stir up now and then as they dig around in the gravel. The danger is that the fish are going to get pretty stressed as the cycling occurs but goldfish are pretty tough creatures. Assuming, as I said, that this isn't an old tank that's suddenly acting weird! In that case a light green tint would suggest algae, which is completely harmless -- in fact fish seem to love the stuff...

- Steve Richardson
St Louis MO

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 7:12AM
batmanandrobin

I see that you have white gravel. Take it out. Never use white gravel or ornaments in your take as they give off a white cloudy haze. No amount of chemical or changing of the water will fix this. I had to take mine out completely even after trying to wash it thoroughly. Hope this helps. Robin

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
Ideas for freshwater aquarium? (live plants moss etc..)
So I initially wanted a saltwater tank, but the maintenance...
mushibu10
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
newbie goldfish owner 'won' goldfish at fair & life is not good
Hi. I searched your forums 1st, but did not see exactly...
ICutUp
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Portrait Funhouse Multi 5' x 7' 3"
$49.97 | Home Depot
Malibu 72" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Espresso Finish wi
Modern Bathroom
Empress Hydronic Heated Towel Warmer Luxury Chrome Bathroom Radiator
Hudson Reed
Richmond House Number Plaque
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Cornerstone White with Satin White Glass 1-light Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Traditional Three Arm Foyer Chandelier- Large by Hubbardton Forge
$360.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™