My female betta is sick

alexis(z8FL)October 25, 2006

My female betta suffered from dropsy (swimming on her side). I gave her medicine and she recovered. However, there are two problems: She tries to eat brine shrimp and fish food but it comes right out of her mouth after tries to eat it (now she will not even attempt to eat at all as far as I can see when I watch her) and her reddish colored fins are turning lighter to more of a whitish color. What's wrong with her and how can I help her out? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Possible it could be fish TB. Fish try to eat but can't and spit as you said. Dropsy is hard to cure and usually indicates something more can be wrong. With all this said, raise water temp. (as long as you are sure the tank is cycled and no ammonia is present) to 80F. Feed shelled peas, antibiotic fish food, or fish food soaked with castor oil. These things help flush the fish out, but if it can't or won't eat it does no good. Use 1/8 tsp. of Epsom Salts per gallon of water. Epsom Salt is a natural laxitive and will flush the fish without him eating.

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
Beta fish becoming anti social
Hey experts I'm new in desperate need for advice for...
hurleygurlie932
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™