Is my betta sick?

aeonapocalypseOctober 23, 2005

I have had my betta for almost a year now. He hadn't been doing so well. He was very inactive for quite some time. So I moved him downstairs where there was more activity and he seemed much better. I decided to bring him on the three hour trip up to school, which he has survived no problem before. A few weeks after the trip he has started to be really inactive. He's been acting this way for about 2 weeks now. He won't swim and it actually looks like he CANT swim upwards. I feed him and he wont eat. He can't swim, nor will he eat. I have never seen him in this state before and it worries me. Is he dying? What can I do to make him better??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woeisme(z7b NC)

Sounds like he is in a bowl or un-cycled type aquarium (just a hunch, I'm just assuming). A betta kept in a bowl, unheated with no bio-filter doesn't surrvive much past its lifespan of 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. Usually they are about 6 months when you get them, so there ya go. To help a bigger bowl or a 5 gallon tank with a heater. When temperatures drop the water gets colder slowing down metabolism. He wont eat as much or at all and becomes lathargic. This makes them more suseptable to disease or shaves time off their lifespan.

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Black moor problems
My black moor had one of his eyes pop out, so I started...
jill1979
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
Interested in getting into aquaponics ...
The common freshwater yabby (Cherax destructor) is...
Skie_M
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
nick_b79
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™