plant recommendation for low-tech tank

veryzerOctober 11, 2009

I have a 54 gal. corner aquarium (27" radius / 23" height) and am looking for plants that will perform well.

I'll have 55 watts coming from a 21.5" CF bulb that will by no means light the aquarium uniformly.

Neither will I have CO2 injection (I gave my unit to my brother).

There will be fish and I could use fertilizer if necessary. Please advise on this as I don't want an algae bloom if the lack of CO2 prevents quick fertilizer uptake.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cityworm

Java fern, several types of anubias and banana plants are a few that will work.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 11:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jordansart(8)

From my experience, the co2 is not that important unless you are farming aquatic plants. You can get a good ecosystem going if you have only a few fish and then add a cleaning crew-some snails and maybe some glass shrimp. I don't use any fertilizer. I like attaching java fern to rocks and moss balls are fun-I like watching the shrimp on them. I know that they are not moss and are actually algae-but I have never had any problem with them and have not had any algae blooms-probably because I have low light and don't use fertilizer. I have various plants in there and I don't feed the fish-except for an occasional pinch or two of flake food(maybe once a month) and I net out mosquito larvae when I find them in standing water-the fish love them. I guess they mainly eat little bits off plants and whatever organisms might be in the environment. I use bio filter media in my filter and use shells and ground coral in the substrate to keep the water from getting too acidic. I treat my aquarium like a mini pond, I guess. I like to keep my pond and aquariums as low-tech and low-maintenance as possible. There are lots of plants that do well in low-light...have you looked at
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/index.php

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
new betta fish
I got a betta fish yesterday and when I put the water...
boulou3
Platy Questions
Hi, I've recently started a 29 gallon tank and currently...
Haider_Sakhi
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
Do cories and goldfish mix?
We have 3 small goldfish (a Black Moor, a little fat...
Nick_B79
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™