Giant Elephant's Ear seed sowing

davidoffJanuary 18, 2006

Hello!

I ordered some seed of Giant Elephant's Ear. Can you please give me some tips on how to sow them? And what about further care? How low can it get with temperatures in the winter? Thanks!

Cheers

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

David, which giant EE are we talking about? Colocasia, alocasia, and which one? Many are referred to as "giant".

Susan

Bookmark   January 18, 2006 at 8:25PM
davidoff

Hey!

It's Alocasia odora... I guess I forgot to mention that:D

Cheers

David

Bookmark   January 20, 2006 at 10:37AM
keiko2(D/FW7b)

David,
I'm always surprised that they sometimes sell packaged seeds of Alocasia odora as once the seeds have been removed from the berries and allowed to dry out they quickly die and you probably won't be able to germinate any of them.

If you are getting fresh seeds still in the berries, odora is the easiest of all to raise from seed.

The link below gives complete instructions.

Keiko

Here is a link that might be useful: Alocasia from seed

Bookmark   January 20, 2006 at 4:05PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Keiko, well darn - I ordered some, too. Chalk it up to lesson learned. I have a lot to learn, and it's not going to happen in less than a year. That's how long I've been at this. So please be patient for my lack of knowledge.

Susan

Bookmark   January 20, 2006 at 6:10PM
davidoff

Thanks for all the replys, but can I put the seed on moist paper towel, wait for them to germinate or show signs of germinating and then put them in soil? Or is that wrong?
Thanks
Cheers
David

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 4:54PM
davidoff

Thanks for all the replys, but can I put the seed on moist paper towel, wait for them to germinate or show signs of germinating and then put them in soil? Or is that wrong?
Thanks
Cheers
David

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 5:01PM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Hey, David. I don't know for sure about EE's, but I know you can do that with most seed, actually, to check for germination. How many seed did you get, and where did you get yours?

I ordered my from whatcom.com. They have some really cool seed on that site.

Susan

Bookmark   January 24, 2006 at 7:19PM
davidoff

Hi Susan!

I got 5 seed from a collector here in Slovenia. Where do they sell seed on whatcom.com? I went through it and didn't find anything...

Cheers

David

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 3:44AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

oops - I forgot, I think the website is seedrack.com. You can just google "whatcom" + seed and probably will come up. I love the packaging. Some of the seed comes in those great big envelopes from France and are not too good, but the EE, arisaema, and pawpaw seeds I got were packaged wonderfully.

Susan

Bookmark   January 25, 2006 at 7:29PM
queenrejina

Dear Susan and David** I would love to know if either of you got seed to germinate? Please follow up as I would like to order seed myself? Rejina

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 8:05PM
lariann(z10 FL)

A few years ago I ordered some of the A. odora seed from Whatcom and none of the seeds germinated. I know from many years experience that in order for Alocasia seeds to germinate, they must be fresh. So fresh, in fact, that you remove them from the ripe berry yourself. Anything less than that and you're dead meat. I had some sent to me from China and they still had orange berry tissue on them, but they were not fresh enough to germinate. 0% on that batch. If you get Alocasia seed from someone, be sure they either send you fresh berries or they pack the seeds in moist sphagnum moss immediately after removing them from the berry, and then send the package directly to you.

LariAnn Garner
Aroidia Research

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™