Large aroids for shady porch?

JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)January 27, 2009

I have a north-facing porch that gets relatively bright light but no sun whatsoever. I've grown caladiums successfully but are there any other big-leafed aroids that do well in containers and can take some shade? I need to avoid things like Philodendrons because I just don't have room to bring them inside in the winter. Can any of the elephant ears--Alocasia, Colocasia, Xanthosoma--tolerate shade? I know they mostly prefer full sun, but I'll settle for surviving if not thriving.

BTW which caladiums have the biggest leaves?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubba62

I have Alocasia 'Calidora' growing in almost full shade under a Photinia tree; it's been there for three years now and produces a show every summer and fall, even though it's in a far less than ideal exposure. It's been hardy under mulch as well. I haven't found a sunny spot for it yet - crinums get those as soon as they open up.

Johnnieb, can I ask a favor? I just posted a question on Pearcea in the gesneriad forum and could use your expertise in that area, if possible.

Thanks so much!

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 5:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fernaly(z7 AL)

I have several alocasia, colocasia and two xanthsoma. Because of our extreme summer heat, mine do much better in afternoon shade. I have some of mine planted on the north side on my house, where they get some direct sun in early morning and again in very, very late afternoon, but bright light all day, they thrive. These do much better than the ones that are planted on the south and west side of my house, these I have to water, really deep, every day and feed every week or they just survive they do not thrive.

I have some that are not hardy for me like; plumbea 'nigra' and lauterbaachina, I am blessed to have a husband that built me a greenhouse, but you could dig them, cut the foliage off and store them in a dry cool place.

BTW some of mine get reallly large, especially my xanthasoma sagittifolium, it gets six foot or more.

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™