Amorphophallus gigas dormancy?

freetibetJanuary 9, 2007

I have a young plant of A gigas. It recently tried to grow a new leaf, but this shrivelled in bud. The main leaf has now detached itself from the tuber (but has not withered). I unpotted the plant to check the tuber. It is plump and hard with no rot. So I threw away the leaf and repotted the tuber.

The question is whether or not A. gigas has a proper dormant period, and if so how to treat it during it.

With best wishes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Like titanum, hewitii, decus-silvae and other Indonesians this one has no true dormancy. I have killed many of all of these except titanum which seems easy so far...the others get the same treatment and die so I can not comment on the best way to deal with it. Good luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   January 9, 2007 at 7:50PM
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

My small gigas was growing all winter only to die down a few weeks ago , mid summer ! Tuber is firm so I'm not worried . My titanum has gone dormant also , I've noticed that this sp. seems to have a brief dormant period around this time , so perfect time to plant it out with my Alocasia robusta .

Bookmark   January 13, 2007 at 3:57AM
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)

I thought I'd killed my titanum last month, but like your A. gigas it had merely gone into a short break. The bulb still seems firm and hopefully it will sprout again for me.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™