what kind of Gourami have I been given?

greenclaws UKzone8aNovember 1, 2007

Hi, I have been given asked to give a Gourami (and a couple of other orphans which I know the names of) a good home along with my other tropicals. It's grown a lot since being in a larger tank and is around 8cms long. The other elongated ray/fin is there, it's just tucked out of sight...I need to know more about it so can you ID it for me please.....thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sakmeht(Zone 6)
    Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 4:24PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Thanks, being relatively new to trops, I was a bit confused as to if it was a Blue (aka 3 Spot or Opaline) as there doesn't appear to be two distinct spots....although the caudal spot is sort of there. Guess it's just not a very good example?
Gill.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 12:50PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

That is very definitley an Opaline Gourami and it appears to be an egg-laden female. In one old book it is also called a Cosby Gourami. Its scientific name is Trichogaster trichopterus, which is also the same scientific names of the blue, gold, butterfly, etc... - just one of the strains thereof. Easy to breed!

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 12:59PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Petiolaris, hello. Interesting as it's the only Gourami my neighbour has ever had and I don't have another either!! Between us we have had 'it' for over 12 months. I was going to ask for an opinion as to it's sex. Must admit I thought 'it' was a male as the dorsal fin extends to the beginning of the caudal fin. On all the pics of the females have found their dorsal to end much shorter than this. Possibly the light bouncing back off the pectoral area gives a false impression of a plump egg laden female?
I am NO expert believe me, so I am open to all opinions, and stand to be corrected! What does anyone else think?
Thanks in advance, Gill.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 4:47PM
petiolaris(Neutral)

Admittedly, I was confused by the mixed appearance. The belly looks full and yet the finnage seemed pointed. If the finnage is true and the belly not, then you do indeed have a male. Would you like to breed him? They are real easy.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 2:04PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

I do think it's the flash that makes it look fat, as head-on he is relatively slim. Admittedly he does have a good appetite and is first in the queue for flakes or mashed peas! Have thought about getting a partner, that's why my initial enquiry was to try and determine 'its' type and sex. Have read up on breeding them on-line and it does seem easy enough...and tempting as I have never bred a bubble nester before.
Gill.

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Betta fish and heaters
Hi, I just bought a little betta fish. I appsolutly...
Nashville123
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
Newbie Betta owner here.
I just put together my first betta tank. It's 2.5 gallons,...
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Weird Betta Behavior
Hey y'all. I have a question about my betta. He has...
tighebettalover
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kaleen Rugs Essential Boucle Natural 5
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Ridgevale Grecian
Home Depot
Indoor Area Rug: Enchant Yellow 5' x 7' 9" Plush
Home Depot
Tannery Bronze w/ Gold Accent Bath 6-Light
PLFixtures
Educational Insights Multiplication Slam - EI-8477
$45.99 | Hayneedle