I have extra konjac pollen ~

Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))February 13, 2006

So I had 8 konjacs blooming and as each did I dutifully collected the pollen to use on the next one. Well, now they're done & I find myself with a bit of pollen. Anyone have a konjac about to bloom? Want to try polinating it with my stuff? I'll put that pollen in an envelope & send it- I've been curious to see if that would work.

Also been curious to see if any crosses could be made- Maybe konjac & paeonifolius? (That would be a smell like no other..) 'Cource my collection is nowhere big enough to have different species blooming at the same time.. But is it even possible? I know with passiflora some can be too far "apart" for crosses to work, I wonder if aroids can be crossed at all? I'd think if it was possible someone somewhere would have mentioned it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arumgrande

Hi Krstofer,
good luck for your trial! I understand why you do this - only because there is a new possibility, you accept the challenge. But what shall you do with hundreds of seedlings? When they really start growing you will need an acre! And I think you won't grow them as a new crop.
But with a great bunch of young plants you may have some variations in growth and colour - sounds interesting!
Bye
hermann

Bookmark   February 14, 2006 at 8:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keiko2(D/FW7b)

I don't think anyone has ever been able to hybridize Amorphophallus, but I think they mainly try titanum crossses.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't try; you have a good working knowledge of how pollenization on this Genus works.

If you have the time, it would be quite worthwhile to keep trying. Maybe some of the identity problems stem from naural hybridization.

A.konjac pollen is always the first available to save here,but maybe this should be tried in reverse with konjac as the female plant.

Keiko

Bookmark   February 14, 2006 at 9:41PM
More Discussions
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Aglaonema
Anyone know the name of this Aglaonema hybrid? Only...
russ_fla
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Sponsored Products
Skateboard Artwork I
Grandin Road
Artcraft Lighting Rocket Brushed Nickel Two-Light Mini-Pendant
$97.00 | LuxeDecor
Gascony Outdoor Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Seasons 4 Battery Operated 28 ct. Red Sphere with Red Invisilite Lights - 110114
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Celtic Flower Wall Art
$39.99 | zulily
Lockers: Salsbury Industries Mailboxes Laminate Double End Side Panel for 18
Home Depot
Serena & Lily Rolling Storage Crates
Serena & Lily
Patio Living Concepts Lamps San Juan 28 in. Outdoor Bronze Floor Lamp with Spa
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™