Help needed with Rose Edouard

ibheriJuly 22, 2011

Hello All, I finally found it and its called 'Rose Edouard'. I always thought it was "Edward". My parents grew this in India and my dad always mentioned about it. They grew this rose for over 40 years, it moved from one home to an another whenever they moved. My parents took it in a pot. Finally it died last year the same year my dad passed away. I still can't get over that thought the we couldn't save the rose he liked so dearly. My mom visited me last year and she is with me now. She mentioned about this rose a couple of times and I could not find an "edward" rose online. Then I read some more and my mom mentioned that a rose jam called Gulkand is made out of it in India. I looked up somemore and guess what HMF had it!! I believe its perhaps the first bourbon.

I need your help on where to buy it. I looked up at Antique Rose Emporium, they did not carry it or maybe carry it under a different name. HMF showed several names.. Please suggest. If you are growing it, I would love it hear about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Edouard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Where are you? If we knew then folks could recommend nurseries that are not too far away from you.

Jackie

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 4:13PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Rogue Valley Roses carries it and has it available in bands right now.

Ingrid

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 4:15PM
ibheri

Thank you Ingrid. I have never done bands before. Can you tell me more?
Jacqueline, I am in Pearland, TX.

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 4:29PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Bands are very small pots, quite a bit smaller than 1-gallon pots and so of course the rose is very small too, but they grow quite fast most of the time. I plant mine in the ground a few days after I receive them but many people plant them into 1 gallon pots and then later even 2- and 5-gallon pots as the root system and the rose bush grow. Either way they do quite well, depending on your local conditions, and I've lost very few of them, and then usually because it was my fault. They're on their own roots, which is a good thing because you'll never have suckers to worry about. The reason they're sent in such small pots is because shipping would be much more expensive if you send a bigger rose in a larger pot. They do offer some roses that way even on on-line nurseries, but most people opt for the band size, unless they're buying them bare-root, which you can only do when the roses are dormant.
I hope this helps.

Ingrid

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 6:45PM
ibheri

Yes Ingrid, very helpful Thank you so much ! I will call ARE just in case they have it, if not I will order from Rogue valley.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 2:31PM
fogrose(zone 10/sunset 17)

hi,

I just checked and Vintage Gardens also has Rose Edouard available. I have found that Vintage Gardens' bands are larger and healthier than ones I've received from Rogue Valley Roses (I won't order bands from RVR any more.)

I always transfer my bands into one gal pots first although sometimes the bands I get from Vintage are so large I need to put them in 2 or 3 gal pots to grow on for a time.

Fogrose

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 5:01PM
ibheri

Thankyou Fogrose. I will check out the Vintage site.
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Indu

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
How Drought Tolerant Is Darlow's Enigma?
A couple of years ago, the phone company swooped in...
plectrudis (Zone 8b Central TX)
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™