eggs?

melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)November 12, 2005

I have a 35 gal with 2 moores (about 7 inches and, as far as I could tell, both male) and 2 dojo loaches (about 2 1/2 inches). Cleaned off algae and changed some water today, noticed what appears to be slightly greenish (but clear) eggs on the tank wall near the bottom. They are in a cluster of about 20 and each "egg" is approximately 1 mm in diameter. No other fish in the tank though I added two bunches of anacharis about a month ago. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

Whatever they were, they're gone today.

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 10:48AM
birdinthepalm

I'd be guessing but there are a number of fish that will attach eggs to almost any somewhat flat surface, but neither of the ones you mentioned does that as far as I know! I think in both cases the eggs are just scattered loosly almost anywhere around the tank where they settle into gravel or on a surface, but is it possible there are any snails in the tank?? They will attach their very small eggs to surfaces, and the fish may have eaten those!!

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 1:05PM

Yes I've read on the internet that goldfish and loaches are egg-scatterers. It is possible they were snail eggs but I have never seen a snail in there. I used to have a trapdoor snail in another tank but it died. I did move the java fern, wood and rocks from that tank to this tank.

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 8:04PM
birdinthepalm

After reading one web site however, it did say that loach eggs will stick to surfaces , so it's possible I guess, though most likely they'd look like they were in a random pattern on the glass, and I think most snail lay their eggs in straight lines , since they don't manuever so easily as other animals.

Bookmark   November 13, 2005 at 8:24PM

I think the mystery is solved! Tonight I saw a snail "circling" around on what looked to be another mass of eggs. I suspect it got into the tank with the anacharis I purchased. I washed the anacharis pretty well but not thoroughly enough. The snal looks about 1 cm in diameter, probably a pond snail. I hope my loaches eat the eggs and any babies that hatch, I don't want my beautiful java ferns decimated.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 12:12AM
fairy_toadmother

*flags waving* congratulations...i hvae been following with suspense :)

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 6:39PM

Anyone know how I determine if it is a pond snail or a ramshorn? It does not look like pond snails I have seen in the past.

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
split leaf philodendron in aquarium
I would like to plant a split leaf philodendron (monstera...
nlbennert
My Aquascape 375 round fronted tank
I have done several 5ft Aquascapes but this was the...
keithgh
55 Gal Salt Water Aquarium for Sale
The 55 gal acrylic aquarium includes: (4) fans, (1)...
Chavezoe
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
+91-9780225275 vashikaran specialsit baba +91-9780225275
+91-9780225275 vashikaran specialsit baba +91-9780225275...
Harsh Dev
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™