smelly aquariums

soigotthatgoingformeNovember 8, 2007

I've got two 29 gallon afican ciclid tanks. both have crystal water. both are well-established for over a year. fish are health. problem: the tanks both stink. they are in separate parts of the house but they both smell terrible. we do a 30% water change every 2 weeks. ph is high (8.2 - 8.4) - like it should be for africans. we use start right to treat the tap water before adding. what the heck??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petiolaris(Neutral)

It may be from accumulated wasteproducts from gravel / substrate. Perhaps removing the fish to another container while you thoroughly stir things up to have removed by a filter and/or water change?

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 12:56PM
birdwidow

I also suspect the substrate, along with too few and small of water changes. In the closed system of a tank, regardless of how well you filter, the fish are still swimming in their own sewage, and sewers- stink.

With a good biological system, and for that, any in-tank foam sized to the tank will do the job, you can change 50% every week and not lose the bio, while still mechanically filtering out the junk.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 9:19PM
oppalm(6)

when you do the water changes are you vacuuming the rocks ? can't help but think your filtration system is not doing its job. May be time for a new filter.

IMO a 50% water change every week is too much. You've got other problems that need to be addressed if the water smells that bad.

I have too many big gold fish in a 75 gallon aquarium, change the water once a month and it never smells.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
Blackmoor changing colors
One of my blackmoors has been developing the most unusual...
asleep_in_the_garden
Anyone use crushed granite for gravel ??
I was thinking of using a product that would normally...
big_al_41
Aquatic Plant ID
Hi, I have an aquarium, and awhile ago we put live...
Jessie Tyler
Catfish
i have a 1 year old, channel cat. She is a beauty....
thewallawallaian89
Aquarium lights - lifespan?
I have a 20 gallon bowfront aquarium about 8 years...
ron_mummert
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™