bad news for titanum

patusho25(z11 Mexico)March 2, 2009

while out of town, the person I told to water my 13" tall Amorph. titanum just didn´t do so (it´s two stems coming from the same tuber, actually, though one is only 8" tall). it´s completely yellow and still has some turgency. didn´t bend since it´s staked. I watered inmediatly since the sphagnum peat moss + perlite mix was rock hard. it´s moist now. low is 15ºC, max is 33ºC.

will a 13" titanum still has chances of resprouting?. resume watering till stems actually rot?. may be going dormant so no more water? any clue is apreciated.

cheerios.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Likely just went dormant....easy enough to check the tuber to see if it is still OK. Why did you have it staked just out of curiosity?? I've never seen a reason to stake an Amorph.

On a different note: Do you know any nurseries there in Mexico that can legally ship Dracontium soconuscum to the U.S. since these are from tropical southern Mexico?? I would love to give this species a try if I can get some decent size tubers imported......for whatever reason I have a tough time with little bitty offsets.

Best of luck with the titanum :o) Dan

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 6:03PM
patusho25(z11 Mexico)

thanks dan. will cross my fingers. staked it back when it was hurricane season. don´t know any nurseries of that kind.

cheerios.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 2:50PM
houstonpat(9a)

My titanum goes semi-dormant in the winter. Since I grow my amorphophallus' outside I normally provide support, as during thunderstorms strong blasts of wind have snapped petiols and seriously leaned them over in the past. A 6 ft. tall A. paeoniofolius(sp) with an 6-8' wingspan on a 3-4" dia stem is kinda an unstable structure.

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Helicodiceros muscivorus won't sleep
In oktober 2013 I bought on E-bay a Dead Horse Arum...
gigagys
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™