How to Plant calla lillies indoors!!

nikki1846March 27, 2010

Hello,

I just bought one calla lilly bulb and would like to grow it indoors. I am just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips as to how to grow this indoors successfully. I have never done it before and am just very interested in trying it out but have no idea where to start!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exoticrainforest

I certainly wouldn't want to discourage you but the genus Calla is composed of plants that grow in a forest swamp. According to the Royal Botanic Garden Kew in London they commonly thrive between the edge of the forest and a raised bog. Basically they are bog/swamp plants rather than a house plant.

They can be grown in damp sphagnum moss since they also commonly live as a creeper in streams and ponds. They must stay damp and love bright light which may make growing them indoors in dim light difficult.

The plants are members of the family Araceae so try looking up the International Aroid Society and do some research on that site. There is a search engine in the lower left hand corner of the home page. The index will also search the IAS forum known as Aroid l where you may be able to find growing information.

Here is a link that might be useful: International Aroid Society

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 11:55AM
rhynno

What kind of calla do you have? If you bought a hybrid (they come in many different colours) they do not appear to need anywhere near as much water as the white species. If you have a white (I forget the actual species name other than the family (?) name Zantedeschia lol) you will have to keep the saucer under the pot filled with water.

I'm sure that there a tons of people on here who know a LOT more than me. (Or who can correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe they can give you more info??

Good luck!

Ryan

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 2:27AM
izharhaq

If you Calla is Zantedeschia aethiopica (White Calla lily) then it can grow well in shade, provided lots of moisture.

However if you Calla is Zantedeschia elliottiana (Yellow Calla lily) or Zantedeschia rehmannii (Pink Calla lily) then you will have to give them plenty of light.

Any hybrids (which are mostly from Z. elliottiana and Z. rehmannii) will require bright light, as they are usually grown in open sun.

Cheers~

Izhar

Here is a link that might be useful: Zantedeschia aethiopica

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 3:19AM
More Discussions
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
Kristin
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™