Aroids for zone 7 garden

geoforce(z7a SE PA)March 31, 2014

I'm not particularly interested in aroids for pot culture, but I love the unique leaves in my garden.

I'm always looking for more I can plant in the dirt and forget. Currently I have Amorphophallus konjac, Sauromatum venustum, Dracunculus vulgarus, and several of the Sinarisaema (Whorl leaf type) arisaemas, as well as the more common arisaemas, which have been doing nicely for years .

Are there other species or varieties which might survive in my zone 7 (some winters closer to 6) garden ?

I've tried alocasia and colocasia but very limited success with them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
casagrande(7)

I am a transplant from ct via fl to nc, zone 7. I have never grown callas before because you had to dig them up and store them for the winter.....no way jose! now that I am in nc, zone 7, I planted my first callas two years ago. when they came up the second year or should I say first year after planting, they blew me away! they were humungus, huge, big,large, tall and oh so beautiful. I picked a few and placed them on my counter in the kitchen to enjoy. they lasted so long in the vase that I had to finally throw them in my compost. what a wonderful lily. I planted lots more last year and am patiently waiting for them to show their stuff!! happy gardening.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Aglaonema
Anyone know the name of this Aglaonema hybrid? Only...
russ_fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™