Pycnospatha palmata

dmarin(Z9 NorCal)March 3, 2006

Hello everyone,

I have a pycno, and I've been growing it for about 2 years now I guess. I transplanted it to a larger pot last year, and I was rewarded this year with its first bloom! After the bloom came that large majestic leaf, and I loved it.

After a while, the leaflet was hanging off at an angle, and I decided to unpot it and take a look. THe leaf had actually rotated the bulb. SO I potted it up in a larger container once again.

The leaflet died off, and now I don't know what to do. DO I continue to water it? or is it in hybernation until spring?

Thanks,

D.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmarin(Z9 NorCal)

Ok, perhaps this was too specific...

More general:

Since my Pycno has always had greenery growing from it and never has been what would constitute dormant, what do I do now? leave it dry until something emerges when it gets a bit warmer?

D.

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 8:01PM
keiko2(D/FW7b)

I have never grown this myself, but from the posts on this and other forums over the years, I think NorCal is too cool for it without a heat mat or aquarium heater to keep it going most of the year. I don't know if they will store dry, more heat would be your best bet.

Keiko

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 9:03PM
dmarin(Z9 NorCal)

Ok, it was a general question-when an Aroid loses it's leaves, do you stop watering until springtime bring up new growth?

My Pycno is in my indoor terrarium, so the weather isn't a huge concern.

D.

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 1:26AM
oror(Z11)

Hi dmarin

I live in Singapore and have quite a few Pycnospathas growing for past few years. They do go dormant after flowering - even if the climate is tropical throughout - ease off some watering (but not completely dry) until growth resumes. Cheers.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
Kristin
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™