Pycnospatha palmata

dmarin(Z9 NorCal)March 3, 2006

Hello everyone,

I have a pycno, and I've been growing it for about 2 years now I guess. I transplanted it to a larger pot last year, and I was rewarded this year with its first bloom! After the bloom came that large majestic leaf, and I loved it.

After a while, the leaflet was hanging off at an angle, and I decided to unpot it and take a look. THe leaf had actually rotated the bulb. SO I potted it up in a larger container once again.

The leaflet died off, and now I don't know what to do. DO I continue to water it? or is it in hybernation until spring?

Thanks,

D.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmarin(Z9 NorCal)

Ok, perhaps this was too specific...

More general:

Since my Pycno has always had greenery growing from it and never has been what would constitute dormant, what do I do now? leave it dry until something emerges when it gets a bit warmer?

D.

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 8:01PM
keiko2(D/FW7b)

I have never grown this myself, but from the posts on this and other forums over the years, I think NorCal is too cool for it without a heat mat or aquarium heater to keep it going most of the year. I don't know if they will store dry, more heat would be your best bet.

Keiko

Bookmark   March 8, 2006 at 9:03PM
dmarin(Z9 NorCal)

Ok, it was a general question-when an Aroid loses it's leaves, do you stop watering until springtime bring up new growth?

My Pycno is in my indoor terrarium, so the weather isn't a huge concern.

D.

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 1:26AM
oror(Z11)

Hi dmarin

I live in Singapore and have quite a few Pycnospathas growing for past few years. They do go dormant after flowering - even if the climate is tropical throughout - ease off some watering (but not completely dry) until growth resumes. Cheers.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Aglaonema
Anyone know the name of this Aglaonema hybrid? Only...
russ_fla
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™